• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Everything comes down to production costs and engineers who probably have never split a piece of wood in their lives. The fact that two of you have had the same problem would also indicate a lack of fielding testing prior to placing the article on the market. 

I think we may have been asking too much of the splitter too. We never did get the stump split and had to leave it lay were it was.

Here's a daylight picture to give you a better idea of the whole building.  The large blocks by the right corner of the building are pieces of a 14" length of the trunk.  I had to cut it into 6 pieces so I could lift it into the truck.  It took two tree guys to roll it out of the way.  The rounds in the background were from the same tree.  They will be split in the spring.  The first 14 feet of the tree went to the sawmill.  In the next few days I'll get what's under roof split, stacked and the splitter put away.  Then I'll move the trailer in and be ready for the cold weather.

attachicon.giffull wood shed.JPG

Our shed isn't quite that full. That is a good feeling though isn't it!

• David Brown said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 10:54 AM

That is a good feeling though isn't it!

One might say it's a warm feeling.

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Well I'm officially done for this year.  I did the ceremonial splitting of the seat (the log that I sit on) which signifies the end of splitting season.  Put the splitter away for the winter after running it dry, cleaned up the breezeway through the woodshed and set the trailer in there, ready to go to work.  The picture shows the end result.  Right in where the trailer sits is what I call my happy place.  Smells great in there!

Done.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 07:05 PM

Wish I had a wood burner! Just feels so much warmer with one!