• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I bought a Hawk E-Z Tune Diagnostic Analyser.  The pointer does not move, so I figured the battery was dead.  When I opened it, I found 2 battery holders: 1 for a 9v battery and another that seems to be for 2 separate AA batteries (I had 4 wires coming off of it).  Problem is, there isn't room in the thing for both a 9v and the 2 AA batteries.  I think someone has messed with the internals.  Anyone have one of these?  Should it only have the 9v battery? Anyone able to get me a shot of the back with the cover off?  

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,634 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 07:44 PM

From what I could find, it should only have the 1 9V battery!

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,521 Thanks
  • 4,177 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 09:21 PM

It sure looks right in there. how do the solder joints look in the board? Isn't there room to put the 9v in the pocket by the plug and lay the AA tray on the ledge above the fuses in the picture?

#4 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47950
  • 332 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 10:29 PM

I am not familiar with this meter but many of the better analog meters will use the 9 volt for basic operation. The single cell batteries (D, C, & AA) are used for resistance measuring. One way to verify this is install the 9 volt battery then check ohms operation by shorting both test leads together. The meter needle should swing full scale or be able to adjust to full scale. If there is no movement on the meter then install the AA batteries then do the adjustment of the ohms to full scale meter movement. One thing I always try to remember to do with my meters is remove the batteries before storing the meter. Two reason for doing this is one better protection of equipment if the batteries would start leaking. The other reason the batteries seem to last longer & this provides protection from accidental over driving the meter. Reinstalling batteries adds to the thought process & meters are set to the proper scale.