Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

216 May Have Dropped A Valve Or Something?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Popping can be caused by timing too.

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Is this an OHV engine?

#48 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Not sure about timing I have tried to adjust governor numerous times using my service manual. I'll have to check timing procedure

#49 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 08:17 AM

You should see the governor arm working to adjust the throttle once at speed. If it isn't, the governor is not working and needs adjustment or repair. The arm clamps to a rod coming out the front of the engine. It must be clamped the way the manual shows. If this is all correct, either the governor or one of its components needs replaced. They aren't so easy to get to as I remember. If the arm is moving to try and regulate RPM, it should just be an adjustment or linkage binding issue.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#50 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:31 AM

yeah the arm doesn't move at all, i think that's my problem.  the governor, as i mentioned, is adjusted according to the manual, i have done this a dozen time to confirm it lol.  It certainly seems like a governor issue and possibly internal.  I plan to completely pull the motor after winter and just do a full rebuild, the crank is good but will plan to put a new piston in it and whatever the governor needs.  This tractor is way to nice to ditch due to a bad motor or governor issue.

#51 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:39 AM

If you think it's the governor, you might want to tear it down. I had one come apart and a piece of it went between the cam and block, cracking it!

#52 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:35 AM

yeah, i'm certain it's the governor, i snow blowed the whole drive yesterday and it jsut won't hold steady rpm and wants to rev way to high, i have to keep the throttle around mid throttle and when i push the clutch in i prepare for it to over rev and i have to throttle back. 

#53 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 10:44 AM

OK-  The adjustable link to the carb from the Governor arm up top is adjustable,  That is how you set your top speed.  Remove the rod from the carb throttle plate ball..  Then loosen the jam nut on the rod and lengthen the rod to lower the engine top speed.  The Governor will always extend to a fixed position once it is at speed.  Lengthening the arm to throttle distance will lower the top speed of the engine @ WOT.  (the trhottle plate will be apt to close more @ speed)..  Do one turn at a time until you are happy and get the right speed.  Remember-  Kohlers hate to be over-reved!!  Bad things happen fast!  

Good Luck!!

#54 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:21 AM

I'm wondering about this...

...i did pull the governor shaft  to inspect while disassembling.  I put it back in and it seemed to go fine but wondeered if there might be a certain way to do this...

Hard to tell without pics but... if the screw/shaft through the internal gov. gear, maybe the gear dropped down with the shaft removed...?  good luck,

#55 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:22 PM

The governor cross shaft won't come out of the engine without disassembly. If it did, it isn't connected to the arm inside (should be riveted to it), and is missing a retaining snap ring.
  • Trav1s said thank you