Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

216 May Have Dropped A Valve Or Something?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 02:03 PM

Well guys, a little update.  After finally getting the keepers in and reassembling ,the motor starts and runs!  Yipppeeee, the only problem i'm having now is that it's revving extremely high and i can only run it by manipulating the throttle to keep it at a safe rpm, if it's set too low it will kind of stall itself out, but as soon as i raise it, the rpm's go through the roof.  When under load it can maintain somewhat of an rpm, but there is defintely something wrong.  Also, the arm that controls the throttle, i'm not sure exactly what hole that was set at, but i can see that it's surging when it's running, it appears loose and if i hold it with my hand i can maintain an rpm with no problem.  Any idea what hole it should be at or how to adjust this piece?  I mowed a few passes and ran it for some time and like i said under a steady load it does hold an rpm it just takes some tweaking and constant throttle adjusting to keep it at a good range.

thanks!

#32 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Have you checked the carb yet? If you have not removed the governor linkage, you shouldnt need to adjust it. My money is still on the screw coming from the carb. With one screw missing and the other one loose on the throttle plate it can hang up and not close on its own.

#33 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yes sorry I forgot to say this screw is from the throttle plate. I replaced it with a screw from my spare 214 carb. I did take the arm off so it most likely is not set how it was?

Edited by rippinryno, December 20, 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#34 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 12:20 AM

If you removed the governor arm, make sure it is adjusted right. Some have a square shaft and are a "no brainer". You need to make sure you "remove the slack" on the round ones. the linkage could be in the right hole and not work right if it isnt tight on the flyweights

#35 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 01:10 AM

Couple of pics for reference:

image.jpg image.jpg

#36 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Ok the first thing i notice is that the bar that goes into the governor arm is backwards on mine, i had it going in from the frontside and then the little C clip is clipped on the back.  it seemed to only go that way though, but  I will try swap this.  Is there a certain setting that i should have this arm set at, like at full throttle should it be straight up and down, or vis versa? Just wondered if there's a way i can tell what adjustment is needed to slow down this crazy rev.

I will flip that bar and put it in like you have shown in the pictures.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel guys and i'm ready to mount this snowblower and chains once i can get the motor steady.  thank you all for everything!

Edited by rippinryno, December 21, 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#37 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 11:28 AM

After double checking the governor settings, i did it per manual specs and have it set properly.  It seemed to get a little better, but it's still revving too high.  It will idle and purr like a kitten, and if i hold in mid throtle it will run just fine.

One thing to note is that i did pull the governor shaft  to inspect while disassembling.  I put it back in and it seemed to go fine but wondeered if there might be a certain way to do this.  Just wanted to note in case that could be a possibility.  I did not make any adjustments to the carb settings or throttle settings so it's ll set the way it was before disassembly.

#38 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 05:19 PM

are you able to check the rpms?

if not I would a digital laser photo tachometer

got mine off e-bay for around $15

If you think the rpms are to high try reset the throttle cable or the screw for the throttle settings (it is down where the throttle cable connects)

#39 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 22, 2014 - 06:26 PM

I will mess with the screw and see if it calms down. I can tell by ear its too high. I don't take it above half throttle because it sounds like it will blow past half throttle. Also when I engage the blades it really struggles unless I rev it up to get it started then it will level out. Seems like a governor issue still to me.

#40 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Still running way to high rpm, it's also sort of popping now, not a backfire but it sounds like it's popping, might be running lean?  Any idea how to check this out, i have to work the rpm's constantly to avoid it from over revving.  it will be fine with the blades on and running a steady speed, then i hit a small hill and it wants to die, or if i disengage the pto and just roll it will start to rev.  same with when i put the clutch in.  i can have the rpm's fine under load then i push the clutch pedal and it starts revving real high again.  has anybody had these symptoms and where should i start?  again, governor seems to be just fine.  is there any chance that it's out of time or something that would cause this?  seems like it wouldn't run well if that was the case?

#41 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ok guys i've got the thing a little better but still having some issues.  So basically it seems very much like the governor but no matter how i adjust it, i have the same issue.  The throttle can be held at a steady  rpm only when under load and when i get it just right.  when i push the clutch in however it start to rev up really high.  I'm wondering if i need to pull the entire governor shaft out of the motor and put it in a certain way? It's almost as though the governor is not working.  It will just flutter itself to any idle speed it wants too but the throttle still controls it at least a little.  basically i can turn the throttle down and it will slow the motor almost until it dies.

#42 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:10 PM

This old girl is only a snow thrower for me and it still wants to rev out on its own and it's popping out the exhaust, I do not think this is governor related now. I'm convinced it is a valve issue. After the winter it's coming apart again

#43 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I just reviewed the entire thread and gotta say me thinks is it the carb.  Have you cleaned/rebuilt it?  Got another you can swap in place of the current unit?

#44 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:54 PM

I have a spare but why would it over Rev?

#45 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:15 AM

There is a specific procedure in the manual for adjusting the governor. I g=suggest you download, read, and follow it carefully. My old 216 broke the governor gear and a piston skirt in the early 90's. I don't know which caused the other. I followed the manual exactly and replaced the parts, reassembled, and she still runs fine today. You MUST set up the governor by the instructions, however.
  • MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks