Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

216 May Have Dropped A Valve Or Something?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Well i was mowing the last time this year then planning to get the snowblower on.  Wouldn't you know it right as i was shutting the blades off the mower decided to putter out after it chugged for 2 seconds then gave me a bit of a tick noise.  Almost a knock.  Now when I turn it over i can hear that slight knock but it seems to crank fine, still has compression just won't fire.  Is this a crank issue, timing, valve, or what do you guys think?  I had oil and it was running just fine before this.  I've got a parts machine in the shed and I'd like to make one of the motors run again if at all possible.  Where should i start and what do you guys think i'll find when i open it up?>

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Check and see if you have spark first, then pull the head and see if the valves are opening and closing a they should. Also check to make sure that the fuel pump is pumping fuel to the carb..

• dthomp17 and Oldford have said thanks

#3 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 03:24 PM

I've check all the essentials, it's sparking, getting fuel, and cranking, like i said got a little knock type of noise and i heard it briefly as it started to die.  I'm convinced it did not die due to fuel issue or losing spark since this noise came about.  I'll pull the head and check the valves, wonder if a spring broke or something bent?  the noise almost sounds like a valve hitting something. 

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Check the valves by pulling the head and then the breather cover under the Carb.. You can also check to see if the rod is loose by rolling the crank back and forth when you get the head of, just don't check it at top dead center.

• superaben said thank you

#5 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 08:25 PM

If the valves and all check out, see if the flywheel/crankshaft key has been sheared.  Not likely but it's still something else you can check.  Don't think it would make any type of "tick" noise with a sheared flywheel key though.

#6 gonafixit OFFLINE  

gonafixit
  • Banned
  • Member No: 63049
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 01:20 PM

sounds like time to push it down to the curb and buy an ingersoll!

• Oldford said thank you

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:02 PM

sounds like time to push it down to the curb and buy an ingersoll!

Powered by the same Kohler?!?!

• GTTinkerer, trowel and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#8 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:13 PM