• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 12:16 PM

Has anybody completed a repower with a vanguard or Kohler engine? It seems like none of the repower threads get completed so you are left hanging in mid air. I am interested in whether it was worth the effort and how the torque output compared to the Briggs single cylinder. Thanks for your response.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 08:36 AM

The problem with a 990 repower is the loss of the PTO. Newer engines do not line up well for the drive shaft and PTO pulleys. The drive shaft length will change. The PTO clutch pulley setup changes because it bolts to the engine and the linkage would have to be re-engineered. Depending on how the engine is mounted, rotation direction may also be an issue. A front PTO pulley may not line up either for use with a snow blower.

If you are going to use the tractor for gardening with rear implements and not use the mower deck, the loss of the PTO may not be a problem.

I can't say I have read of a competed 990 repower either. Putting a nice starting and running twin cylinder engine in a 990 would be nice.

Edited by VTXrider, November 04, 2014 - 08:41 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Well, after much thought and a friend, I have decided to go ahead with a repower even though the 16 hp Briggs still runs and sounds great. I had a Z482 2 cyl. Kubota diesel dropped off at my garage the other day. After doing some close eyeballing, I think I might even be able to get a pto back on it, even though I don't use it as a mower and in Texas, I sure don't need a snowblower. I have spent the past few months reworking all of the controls including the brakes and converting to foot pedal for the hydrostat. As MTD did not see fit to put bushings on anything, I made all new shafts with bushings. I can't stand the scraping and grinding when applying the brake or moving the hydrostat control. I will try to get up a pic or two when I have it buckled down. The radiator is going to be a very close fit height wise. I may have to redo the filler neck to lower it so it won't stick through the hood.

#4 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Reference to Dayton King's repower of his 990. Maybe you guys can connect and share. http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=750858

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:25 AM

I kind of wondered what happened with your project. Do you have any pics of before & your progress up to now. I'm almost done rebuilding my 990 & really would like to get another & re power it. Looking forward to your project.

Edited by Sawdust, February 21, 2015 - 11:26 AM.