#1 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 06:56 AM

This past weekend, I had a tree fall on my house. Although my craftsman saw with an 18" bar did well, after a friend brought his Stihl ms290 with 22" bar over to help, it became obvious that I need a bigger saw. That's where you all come in. I haven't shopped for one in a long time. I'm guessing I will go with stihl. There are 2 dealers close to me for parts. I also plan on buying used. Maybe even vintage if it does the job. Things are always built better back then. What's everyone's suggestions? I saw a stihl ms390 for just over $200 30 minutes away. Thought of that. I'm a pop delivery guy so I spend my days unloading 15000 lbs of pop. A little extra weight is not gonna bother me. I want a good powerful saw that's there when I need to cut a 24" or bigger log. I burn firewood in the winter, so I'm cutting wood all year. Thanks in advance

Eric
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#2 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 07:26 AM

Here's some info on that MS390. http://firewoodhoard...e-to-hate.7398/

Might have to join to read it but they're good people over there.

• dropped82 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with a stihl or a good dealer.
The 391 would be a nice saw for you, powerful, not to heavy, but the bar length is suggested at 16-20"
I would voice one word of caution on long bars... It's often the extra length on a bar that becomes inconvenient. It's rare that I personally need anything over 18 and I just cut from both ways. It is more often that the adjacent log is close enough that I have to watch the tip doesn't grab and do something to the saw I don't want it to. Also, that extra over there where I can't see it is what dulled a good chain up bad when it touched a hidden rock.
I don't know about your specific needs, but if it were me, and I had to have a 24" bar, I would get a 20" also and change to the big one only when I needed it.

We opted not to get the easy chain adjust as the regular isn't that hard, but if you're going to be swapping chains occasionally, might look into it.
  • Trav1s, boyscout862, dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 07:44 AM

My Pioneer Farm Saw lasted almost 30 years(5 cords per year) but the ignition module died. I bought a new Stihl Wood Boss and have been happy with it for 6 years. They warn about the ethanol in gas damaging them so be carefull about used ones. Good Luck, Rick

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 07:45 AM

We've used the stihl farm boss for the last 25 yrs w/21" bar on them.I forget what model it is off hand.They are great and we havn't had any issues with them.I think we are on our 3rd one.They were still running when my Dad and Grandpa decided to get a new saw for the farm.You won't be disappointed.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 07:55 AM

We have a Stihl 362 and I am extremely happy with it. However with my hands the way they are I like having a small saw to do the limbing work. The 362 tends to get heavy after a while. 

#7 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I appreciate all the replies. I may take a look at this ms390. I already have a smaller saw for the light work when the longer bar is too much. I'm kind of looking for the b****s saw that is there when I have a large trunk to slice up. I understand my 18" would do it, but its also hard on it. Heck, I might look bigger. I just happen to see that particular model on clist and was not scared away by the price. I don't want to spend $600+ on a used saw. It looks as if the one I'm gonna look at is the bigger of the residential saws. I just want to be a little informed when I'm finally out looking.

Eric
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#8 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 09:47 AM

We have a new Stihl 390 and a old Stihl 039 they are about the same size, They are really good saws.

#9 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 01:48 PM

If your not in a rush look around in the winter seems prices go down after fall wood cutting.  I keep a saw for the large stuff, it's got a 30 inch bar on it. Works great it's a Homelite  so heavy all you have to do is set it on the log it'll do the rest

#10 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi All;

I wanted a larger saw earlier this year for some down logs and felling some trees. I stopped at my local Dolmar dealer on my way home one day and ended up with a PS-7910 sporting a 28" bar. I wasn't sure about the 28" bar at first but found it mighty hand with the 30+" maple logs. When it came to felling the 24" ash trees it was excellent. I am glad that I bought the big saw and 28" bar. Just figured you might be interested to hear and maybe look at Dolmar. Stihl is excellent stuff too, but sometimes you need another option. Here is a link to check it out if you are interested.

http://www.dolmarpow...7910/index.html

• MH81 and dropped82 have said thanks

#11 thadscub OFFLINE  

thadscub

• Member No: 1913
  • 69 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 12:02 AM

i have a ms 390 stihl that saw is awesome plenty of power and ballanced good and not to heavy

#12 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 02:14 PM

I run a Stihl 290 FarmBoss and a smaller Stihl trim saw.  Both run flawlessly, the 20 inch bar has been able to cut everything I need.  On the larger logs I just make a cut on both sides.  The trimsaw is a huge help cutting the limbs down to size.

#13 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:40 PM

A little update. I have someone coming tomorrow bringing with them a Stihl 041AV Farm Boss. Runs good, but needs a little Tlc. What I've read, these things can possibly handle up to a 28" bar with the right chain. Really fits what I want without a huge pricetag. Also, I love older equipment. Seems parts are readily available. All the for a 10" Brinly trade. Not bad, I don't think. I will post some pics if I decide to get it.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, November 17, 2014 - 08:40 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#14 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:38 PM

A little update. I have someone coming tomorrow bringing with them a Stihl 041AV Farm Boss. Runs good, but needs a little Tlc. What I've read, these things can possibly handle up to a 28" bar with the right chain. Really fits what I want without a huge pricetag. Also, I love older equipment. Seems parts are readily available. All the for a 10" Brinly trade. Not bad, I don't think. I will post some pics if I decide to get it.

Eric

Did you buy it?

#15 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:41 PM

After picking up a husquvarna 25 years ago, I wouldn't have any other brand. Cut a many a board feet of logs with them and oodles of ranks of wood. I like the feel and balance of them much better then Stihl. But I will say as well, that only the XP models are worthy of buying. I use a 372XP with a 8 tooth sprocket and a 24" bar. Probably about the best power to weight ratio of any saw out there. My brother has a 390XP that he says he would not trade for anything. A concern I have is that many of the newest brands of saws have to be connected to a computer to adjust the carburetor, which in my book is no good no matter what brand.