• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Well the last couple weeks I had planned on getting the Snapper 1855 finished sand blasted and primed and painted.  Didn't even get to work on it.  For one I started building a bigger better dolly to move the tractors around with as I restore them and second my future son in law talked me into helping him overhaul his engine in his '02 Z-28.  So the last couple weekends we pulled it out, (it actually comes out the bottom with the front cross member and struts) and tore it down.  Got it rebuilt and ready to put back in the car next weekend.  So tomorrow I will finish the dolly, put the 1855 on it and at least get it all sandblasted.  will be posting pics in a couple days.  Willie

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:03 PM

I really hate working on those Z cars. With the engine almost under the dash they are terrible.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:54 PM

I have recently had reality and life get in the way of tractor time myself.
I feel your pain

#4 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Working on the car wasn't too bad, but to keep my sanity I need some tractor time daily.
  • limebuzz said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Doing my current house remodel, I am in the same boat. I have good intentions and even write down what I need to do, but don't get to half my list usually. I don't even think about working/tinkering on my tractors, just trying to keep the running ones running for now.

What is the plans for the LS1 mild rebuild or going radical on it? We have a speed shop here in Cincy, I think we have one of the best tuners for the LS platform in the country, he is crazy good.

I had to do a swap in my 98 Fireturd.....crazy with just an engine hoist and jack stands. Little scary too!

P1010012_edited.jpg

#6 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 12:46 AM

Kyle claims it will be his daily driver when we get it done and it should be ready to take him home by Sunday afternoon.  It is just a mild refresh, cam, hedders, gears, for what extra HP he can get.  I told him when he took the heads to the machine shop to have valves ground that he should get them ported and polished which would have been a good low cost HP gain and to the machine shop to do it.  Machine shop said he would not recommend doing that for a daily driver, so they didn't get opened up.  I saw the picture in your post and my heart goes out to you doing and engine r and r on jack stands.  I kept one 9000# 2 post lift when I closed my garage in town and have it in my barn.  If not for the lift I would not be doing the Remove and Replace just the overhaul.  Tomorrow I will build his rearend and install the unibody frame connectors then stuff the engine back in from whence it came this weekend.  Ill post pics when we get it done.  Willie

• KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#7 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:18 AM

My wife has a very low mile '95 Z28 convertible weekend toy with lt1, no fun to put spark plugs in.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:35 AM

I would disagree on the polish/porting for a daily. You cammed and headered it, porting would have actually let those two add ons work even more efficiently.

Yea, it was a little scary at first. The pics are deceiving though, I had a lot more support under car than just the jack stands and once motor came out, I ran a large chain down through engine space and secured to front of the car and to the rafters. It was pretty solid. Let's just say, I was under the car for the bare minimum of removal and replacement.

My dad had an uncle die from a car falling on him back in 50's, he preached about making sure car was supported, got in a hurry, threw the hook from his wrecker under the old straight steel bumper then slid under car. Car slid sideways off the hook and it was all he wrote. I usually add extra support where ever I can just in case.

Mine is just a 3.8 V6, nothing special. I would love to drop a 5.3 or 6.0 in it outta of a later model truck, but it's just a daily and gets decent gas mileage so no biggey and I may sell next year. I have been really looking at the Pontiac G8's lately, either a 6.0 or 6.2 and a person can get some major HP out of a 4 door sedan, I'm digging it. Maybe next summer.

#9 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Tahoe a lot of people have died that way for sure.  That's why even if I get under my GT's I use jack stands and the FEL on my Kubota with a chain for backup. 

toppop52 I have seen my share of hard to reach plugs over the years in the  business, but my vote for the toughest would go to the 197090 Mach 1 with 351 Cleveland.  It was the rt rear (#4 I think) and you had 3 choices.  Change the other 7 band leave that in, cut an access hole in the shock tower which I would never do or pull the motor mounts loose and jack up the engine.  I'm sure there were a lot of plugs left in back then.  Willie