9 replies to this topic

#1 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hey everyone,

I finally found a lift arm bracket so i can get my snowblower hooked up!  I actually bought an entire blower with the lift bracket springs, gearbox and 2 sets of tire chains for 50 bucks!  I will post pics of my new "spare" blower soon.

So my 14HP K321 smokes quite a bit on occasion.  It doesn't always, sometimes i can mow the whole lawn without it smoking, sometimes it smokes when it is cold, sometimes when warm....  Initially when i bought it there was quite a bit of smoke so i changed the oil to SAE 30 and it was alot better.  Now it is bothering be again.

Does anyone know the most likely root cause of the smoke?
Has anyone rebuilt one of these?  Critical components?

So i now have 2 spare sets of tires chains if anyone needs some let me know i would let them go for cheap.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 06:36 PM

if it's black smoke it's fuel

Blue smoke is oil..

• superaben said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 07:46 PM

breather plugged up?  how "regular" has the oil been changed?

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Could be the breather.I've flipped the reed valves over on a couple that were not sealing because of a bit of wear.They will make it smoke a bit but not real bad.

Do you hear any sort of knock around mid throttle?If so then it has a bit of piston slap.Most of the old kohlers I get my hands on have a bit of piston slap.The only way to correct piston slap is to have it bored out and install oversized piston and rings in it.They usually will need to be bored atleast .020 over to clean it up enough.

If it isn't to bad you can get away with just installing a set of new rings and it will last for a few more years.Best way to tell if it has worn rings and a bit of piston slap is to take the head off and turn the crank till the piston bottoms out.You will see the top ring in the gap between the piston and the cylinder if it has any piston slap.

I would be very very surprised if the rings were worn a bit and it didn't have piston slap.Most of them will.Rings get worn down to the point the Piston cocks to the side a bit and the rings sharp edge scrape up and down taking a bit of metal with every pass.It will also wear the top edge of the piston off after a while.

#5 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:32 PM

If there is a hose that runs from the valve cover to the air cleaner, then open air cleaner & see if there is oil collecting on the air filter. If this is the case then valve cover will need to be removed to check the filtering under it or some cleaning put after doing that an oil change will be needed. Kohler motors are fairly easy rebuilding.

Charlie

#6 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:55 PM

I have a K341 that smoked pretty bad on startup but would almost quit after about 30 seconds to a minute. The k341 is essentially the same motor as the K321 with a slightly larger cylinder bore.   I thought it was probably rings so I pulled the head to see what it looked like and found that the exhaust valve had what I thought was too much side play in the valve guide.  Dismantled  the engine and the cylinder looked good with no evidence of scoring or any evidence of a ring groove at the top.  I measured everything and as best I could tell, all was within spec except for the exhaust valve.  Bought an aftermarket rebuild kit that included new rings, piston, connecting rod, valves, and a complete gasket set.  I lightly honed the cylinder and installed all the new parts and now the engine runs good with only a very brief puff of smoke on startup.  It was a fairly easy rebuild.  The engine hasn't been run long enough for the new rings to seat fully so that may explain the brief puff of smoke on startup.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 06:11 AM

I do not hear much/or any knock at all at mid throttle.

What are you guys calling the breather?  How dose the crankcase vent on this motor?  I do not remember seeing any rubber lines going to the carb/ air cleaner.

I think my next step is to pull the head and inspect as EricFromPA mentioned.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 06:25 AM

First, download the manuals(a Maintenance and a Rebuild) from our Manuals Section. Before opening it up, give it a good tuneup. The smoking can be from too rich on the gas/air mixture. Then check the air cleaner and the breather. If these are allright, try adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Sometimes carbon builds up and it affects the rings causing it to smoke. The Marvel removes the carbon and has reduced smoking on many engines for me. Give the Marvel a few months. If it still smokes, then you may want to rebuild it. Read the Manuals to get an idea on amount of work involved. Ask questions if you need help. Good Luck, Rick

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 06:33 AM

Here is the link to the service manual. There is a cover just below and left of the carb. It is where the crankcase breathes through. Has some small reed type parts in it, so be careful removing it. Make sure it has been put back together correctly. Excess fuel in the oil will make one smoke also! Stuck rings will do the same.

#10 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Thanks KennyP - i just downloaded that manual.  I will check tonight the breather system tonight!