• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:57 AM

I was in the process of taking off the mower deck,,,cleaning ,,and putting up for the winter.  I wire brushed the under side and primed it up,,and then remembered that ,,,Sometimes the center blade didn't cut as even as the the outside blades do...I think cause the wife likes to go balls out and too fast..Not shure...   Anyway---  I had it on end and noticed that when I rotate the sharp side to the left, to line up the edges it's fine...   when I rotate it to the right blade, ( sharp side )  They are about a fourth in. off..

I'm guessing that the deck is bent in the center,,  I was wondering if I could shim it  or  do I have to bend the deck back in shape.???

Any thoughts...???                 sodi 

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I was in the process of taking off the mower deck,,,cleaning ,,and putting up for the winter.  I wire brushed the under side and primed it up,,and then remembered that ,,,Sometimes the center blade didn't cut as even as the the outside blades do...I think cause the wife likes to go balls out and too fast..Not shure...   Anyway---  I had it on end and noticed that when I rotate the sharp side to the left, to line up the edges it's fine...   when I rotate it to the right blade, ( sharp side )  They are about a fourth in. off..

I'm guessing that the deck is bent in the center,,  I was wondering if I could shim it  or  do I have to bend the deck back in shape.???

Any thoughts...???                 sodi 

Assuming the center blade is off kilter is not advisable. You will need to make sure all three mandrels are level and at proper height. Check all blades for flatness and that  there are no extra or missing washers to throw off the blades.

Good luck.

• sodisr said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:05 PM

I'd check your blades first to see if they are bent. These decks are solid and do not bend easily!

• sodisr and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:48 PM

The blades are brand new,,,, as are the bearings in the mandrel..  If I rotate the side that is off,, to the other blade,, it is even.. and if I rotate the outside blades  180 degrees,   Same thing..

• Bolens 1000 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:27 PM

The blades are brand new,,,, as are the bearings in the mandrel..  If I rotate the side that is off,, to the other blade,, it is even.. and if I rotate the outside blades  180 degrees,   Same thing..

I would then check with a flat edge from one mandel to the next and look for a gap and then check that mandrel for square (mounting) before assuming the deck is bent.

• sodisr said thank you

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:44 PM

And look at the drive hub and rivets to be sure a hub isn't slightly off or a rivet missing between the blade and drive hub.

• sodisr said thank you

#7 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 12:07 AM

The decks are tough, but can be bent.  The footprint of the bearing housing isn't that large, and some localized deformation can happen.  Analyze where and in which direction it is deformed.  Use a large crescent wrench and/or a BAH to bend it back flat.

• sodisr said thank you