• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:55 AM

I haven't been around much in the last year, and will be in & out for awhile yet. Hopefully we'll be moving to Leander Texas within a few months to be near our son.  

From what I've seen in online photos of houses that we can afford, the lawns and yards don't look very conducive to having a small  vegetable garden  or lush lawn.   I assume I'll have to build up the soil; so knowing that I was wondering just what veggies I can hope to have luck with in that "OMG, IT'S *BLEEPIN' HOT ! " temperatures down there.   

Any suggestions from you Texans ?

Edited by oldtimer, November 02, 2014 - 08:56 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and hamman have said thanks

#2 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Mods, you can feel free to delete this.  I guess it was a dumb question. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• Member No: 382
  • 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 10:38 AM

Not a dumb question, Only dumb one is when the wife asks why I need another tractor! ROFL

Most guys I know from Texas, usually grow everything the northern guys do, except they do it in spring, fall, winter and let it set, mostly, during the hot summer months. Good Luck!!

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I wonder if you used hoops over raised beds you could use shade cloths to keep the plants from summer intense sun . Even up here in Pa plants will wilt on those very hot days ( ok in Tx that would be a mild day lol )

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Our resident Texan Mod is busy getting a cylinder re-sleeved, other wise he'd be all over it.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 mmjhouston OFFLINE  

mmjhouston
  • Member No: 63006
  • 49 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:40 AM

I live in the great state of Texas in San Antonio(right down the road from where you will be). As a whole we grow mostly everything that our northern counterparts do except do it better :D . SonnyT hit it on the head we start tilling and planting way earlier than most folks do. The best way to get a feel for what you can plant and what not to plant is find you a little small coffee shop and go there about 6 in the morning and drink a cup of joe with some old timers. Once you get to Texas let me know if i can help with anything except the move!!

• Texas Deere and Horse and Cat385B have said thanks

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,990 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 03:43 PM

all my exes live in Texas lachen.gif

• mmjhouston said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 06:19 PM

I haven't been around much in the last year, and will be in & out for awhile yet. Hopefully we'll be moving to Leander Texas within a few months to be near our son.  

From what I've seen in online photos of houses that we can afford, the lawns and yards don't look very conducive to having a small  vegetable garden  or lush lawn.   I assume I'll have to build up the soil; so knowing that I was wondering just what veggies I can hope to have luck with in that "OMG, IT'S *BLEEPIN' HOT ! " temperatures down there.   

Oldtimer, I'm sorry that I haven't responded before now, but I've been in the hospital with some issues and haven't been able to get on much this past week. To have a really good garden you will have to basically built all your beds from scratch and also work out a good irrigation system to produce some of the best veggies you've ever eaten. You will be able to double crop a lot of crops such as green beans and lettuce along with other short growth length crops. Being from IN originally, I thought it would be hard to beat the gardens we had up there, but it can be done with a little work. Let us know when you get moved down and we'll come by and visit with you.

• Alc and oldtimer have said thanks

#9 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm 45 min north of Leander. irrigation and good compost the soil in centex is rocky. I never have a green lawn in the summer can't afford to the high water bill to try to keep it green. 

Edited by bbuckler, November 08, 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#10 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks guys ! 

I appreciate the responses.  Can't wait to get down there. Waiting on the closing here, and then still have to get a place down there. Won't be anything big. Our son is in Leander, and he'll be doing the house hunting for us. Hoping to be down there in the next few months.  So it's as I thought - have to build from scratch.  

bbuckler,  when we were down there last January I noticed that most lawns seemed "sparse".   My wife already told me that watering the lawn would be  NO,NO.  lol

Texas Deere and Horse, sorry to hear about your spell in the hospital. Hope everything went well. 

mmj, I might hit the coffee shop after we're settled in.

SonnyT,  I'm looking forward to  having second plantings.  The garden won't be that big, so that's what I was thinking. 

Cold is starting to come regularly up here now, so I want to get there in a hurry now.  :D

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:30 PM

Thanks guys ! 

I appreciate the responses.  Can't wait to get down there. Waiting on the closing here, and then still have to get a place down there. Won't be anything big. Our son is in Leander, and he'll be doing the house hunting for us. Hoping to be down there in the next few months.  So it's as I thought - have to build from scratch.  

bbuckler,  when we were down there last January I noticed that most lawns seemed "sparse".   My wife already told me that watering the lawn would be  NO,NO.  lol

Texas Deere and Horse, sorry to hear about your spell in the hospital. Hope everything went well. 

mmj, I might hit the coffee shop after we're settled in.

SonnyT,  I'm looking forward to  having second plantings.  The garden won't be that big, so that's what I was thinking. 

Cold is starting to come regularly up here now, so I want to get there in a hurry now.  :D

the biggest mistake I think a lot of people make here is letting it get to tall and then scalp it I like to keep my deck at 4 inches. I mow once a week even if it look it don't need it (maybe I'm ocd) year around.

• Alc said thank you

#12 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Well it looks like it'll be a while longer before we get down there.  The sale of our house hit a snag. Seller is having a personal problem and we're going to wait  'n see what his plans are.  It's a family matter; so we want to give him time . If he can't or won't be able to buy we'll put the house on the open market and eventually get down there.  Good thing is we have a lot of stuff boxed and ready to go.  Bad thing is we have a lot of stuff boxed and ready to go.  We're living as "minimalists" for the time being  :-)