#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:05 AM

on our Jacobsen. It sits about 24" out the back of the tractor at this time. It is pined on the hitch and has a couple of loose braces around the hitch rails. This makes it wobble and move as I use it. I am thinking I am going to shorten it to just behind the rear of the tractor. It has been like this since it was bought new. It sticks out the back to far. Doesn't look like a big project just a little time and and a couple of angles on each side bolted to the hitch , seat brackets.  I will post more after I start the project. This is how it looks now. DSCF1596.JPG DSCF1586.JPG

Any other suggestions.                                                                                                                        Roger.

• Alc, trowel, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:54 AM

I would have had half the siding tore off the house if that stuck out that far on one of my tractors. 

Good luck with your project. 

• Bill56, hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:46 AM

This will be interesting to watch! Nice Jake, by the way!

• hamman said thank you

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:54 AM

You are right! That is definitely way out there! I know they can be costly but, maybe go with wheel weights and/or tire ballast instead?
  • hamman, GlenPettit and propane1 have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 07:59 AM

If you shorten it, you will need to add weight.  It's the old foot/lbs thing.

• hamman, Cvans, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:09 AM

If you shorten it, you will need to add weight.  It's the old foot/lbs thing.

I was wondering the same thing. It holds 120# of sand right now. If I make extensions on it I can add another 60# plus my 200+ should be just about enough. I do also have a large (undetermined weight) suitcase weight from a farm tractor we used to use in the back of our 2 wheel drive pickup for winter weight. I could adapt that to it. I just know it's way to heavy for me to pick up by myself. The tractor actually does very well with the weight and me on it. I try to stay on top of the snow so it doesn't get to much to blow.  Now I am wondering again.                                                                                                                                     Roger.

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:40 AM

This is what i have been using on two of my tractors. Old cast iron water trough with bar bell weights and chain or what ever I can find.  The one in the picture is about 200 lbs or so.   Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:51 AM

That's what I need to do is shorten it up. I just passed on two sets of plastic coated weights. About 400# worth. Just didn't see the need for them. Now I wish I had taken them. I still have an in at the place that bought out where I worked when the economy tanked. I plan on having them make a extension out of 22ga galvinzed metal to make another 120# to add to it. Just thinking now. Thanks for the help.   Work starts later today.                                                                                                   Roger

• propane1 said thank you

#9 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:04 PM

°  Having a lot weight extend beyond/behind the rear axle will actually lighten the front end and reduce steering control, it's a good idea to also put some extra weight near the front.  The further out/away the rear weight is, the more leverage to pivot on the axle and like a 'titer-toddler', lighten the front, quite a bit.

°  When the snowthrower is on and up, you do have a lot of weight upfront, but when it is down and working, it doesn't really add much weight to the front since it's sliding on the ground.  

°  Tri-rib (or lug) tires on the front, plus weight, can probably give the very best steering control, or chains on front tires.

°  IMO, Best to have a pair of dedicated Winter tires with weight inside the tires (#100/pair), and then rear weights on the tire (#100);

having weight at the axle may be the least stress on the tranny.

• hamman, Cvans and propane1 have said thanks

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 04:13 PM

One thing about the tri rib front tires is, they don't slide, you go where you steer to.  I have gotten unstuck in snow banks because of the front tri rib tires.   Noel 

• hamman said thank you

#11 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:28 PM

My solution for rear wts is an angle iron frame to hold 4 old truck batteries at 55lb each to give basic 220 lb. I can add brackets below basic frame to accomodate 2 more batteries or place additional wt on the tray above.

IMG_6407.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:10 PM

Don't get too carried away with the amount of weight that you hang on the back. I broke two Kubota axles doing that. If your rear wheels start to spin and hop you are putting a tremendous load on those axles. Especially if you have chains mounted on your tires. Your much better to add your weight to the tires or wheels so the axles don't have to carry the weight. 

• limebuzz and hamman have said thanks

#13 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 05:59 PM

I have a 110 seen in advitar pic. I moved the weight box back 2 1/2 inches from where it was factory or where ever installed and I have 180 additional lbs plus the wheel weights not in pic. Oh I also keep a screw driver and plier for another 1 1/2 lb lol I would just move it forward just to be more user friendly. No one wants missing siding or dents in there cars.
  • hamman said thank you