carburetor onan. fuel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7856
  • 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I set the valves on the cub 2146 and cleaned the carburetor. Noticed the throttle valve was not seating in the throttle body so I backed off the idle adjustment screw so it would seat. Changed the oil and cranked it up. Idled fine with no surging mowed for about 30 min and it was running a little rough them it lost power and was surging at full throttle. Pulled the air filter off and you can see gas coming into the carb. Bubbling into the carb.

Ideas on how to proceed?

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 07:53 AM

Is it gas, water, or oil in the carb?  If it evaporates after a little while its gas. If the liquid stays it is oil or water(that was in the gas). I usually try running the engine until it is up to temp and see if it gets better. If there is still a liquid, blot some up with a rag and try to deterrmine what it is. Water from in the gas or could be that the breather is letting oil into the carb. 

If it is gas, it sounds like a sticking float but many times I've found that it is best to just overhaul the carb at this point. Carefully check the float for a buildup of crud on it or for gas inside it. Good Luck, Rick 

• HDWildBill and Jkrogers have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 10:03 AM

You have either a bad/sticking float or some dirt holding open the needle valve.  You will need to take the float assembly apart and inspect it.  When you do take it apart shake the float and if you hear slouching replace it.

• Jkrogers and boyscout862 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carburetor, onan. fuel