Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:34 PM

That's a good price I was told they are worth $150 with the center piece.

Thanks, I found something at Harbor Freight today that may be usefull...... If I can figure out a mounting issue. I'm taped out right now. 

#887 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Ok, I am planning to use Old Girl for site transportation at the TEDTEA 44th Annual Show in Temple,Tx next month. I have been looking at small trailers, and wagons for the last week on-line and didn't see anything promising. Ran into bbuckler at Harbor Freight today while searching for something that I could tote a cooler, and any goodies I might pick up in the travels with Old Girl. Almost ready to give in when I spot a ATV 2" receiver hitch, and I spotted a 500lb carrier an isle or two ago. Hmmm. So I got them. Less than the wagon or trailer idea, and should fit the bill nicely. Now the dilemma. I need to brace the 2" receiver. I am thinking a couple heavy duty turn buckles, but need advice on the best location to place them.

a. Top of the back plate to the top rail on the carrier. (May have a slippage issue at both ends)

b. Install "D" rings in the back plate and go from there to the top rail. (May have slippage on the top rail)

c. Top of the back plate to the receiver hitch chain bar.

d. Install "D" rings in the back plate and to the receiver hitch chain bar.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • a.JPG
  • b.JPG
  • c.JPG
  • d.JPG

#888 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Larry, I would turn that around
The little nub where you have the bolt is supposed to be a tongue hitch.
I would build a piece that bolts on to the upper holes and this is welded to it. Just leave enough room for the hitch to slide thru and accept the pin.

Edit: very crude side view

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• larrybl said thank you

#889 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Larry, I would turn that around
The little nub where you have the bolt is supposed to be a tongue hitch.
I would build a piece that bolts on to the upper holes and this is welded to it. Just leave enough room for the hitch to slide thru and accept the pin.

Welding anything is out of the question right now. The hitch adapter came with a bolt that fit perfect in the hole where I had the 2" ball. I don't see a way to turn it around.  

Attached Thumbnails

• image_16621.jpg

#890 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:36 AM

Larry that's a great idea of using a premade carrier :thumbs:   Many times we busted our a** carrying heavy stuff from the flea market area because trying to drive through the crowd is dangerous unless it's with the trailer to get something  like a tractor that won't move on it's own . I'm thinking the wheel weights I could have bought but past because to that

Edited by Alc, September 16, 2015 - 05:38 AM.

• larrybl and MH81 have said thanks

#891 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Larry, you will have to add some type of solid support or you will bend that hitch plate. I think that plate is similar to the GTV plate so I'll look at mine and see what I can come up with. Probably a turn buckle (or 2) would be best so you can pull it snug before any weight is added.

• larrybl said thank you

#892 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:20 AM

Larry, you will have to add some type of solid support or you will bend that hitch plate. I think that plate is similar to the GTV plate so I'll look at mine and see what I can come up with. Probably a turn buckle (or 2) would be best so you can pull it snug before any weight is added.

Yea, I'll swing by Tractor supply and see what they have for heavy duty turn buckles. I am thinking that should do the trick for now.

#893 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 02:40 PM

If it were me i would narrow that down to the first brace on each side. Might make knocking people over less of a big deal. Since it is behind the axle is is really going to swing around in a turn.

I would run the turnbuckles out as wide as I could without hitting the tires. It will minimize the tendancy for the carrier to want to pivot on the bolt.

• larrybl, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#894 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 02:55 PM

Yea, I see some modifications needed in the future, I'll just have to be carefull at the event. figures after I bought the turn buckles I found this.

http://store-1rw0cbt2.mybigcommerce.com/sears-suburban-craftsman-tractor-hitch-srr325-r-rear-receiver-for-3-point-hitch/

• bbuckler said thank you

#895 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 03:14 PM

Yea, I see some modifications needed in the future, I'll just have to be carefull at the event. figures after I bought the turn buckles I found this.

http://store-1rw0cbt2.mybigcommerce.com/sears-suburban-craftsman-tractor-hitch-srr325-r-rear-receiver-for-3-point-hitch/

I got to order one for sure those are cool.

#896 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 03:31 PM

This is my carryall ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442435511.882713.jpg
  • larrybl said thank you

#897 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Well the turn buckles worked, but are a little long so I had to modify how to place them. I used a front deck pin off Hulk's deck. Doesn't give any with my 250 lbs standing on it, I bounced a little and the front wheels stayed put on the ground.   and as long as I keep the weight sorta centered should work fine for the day. Easy enough to remove it  just ride around. I may leave the carrier off, unless I find something there, then go install the carrier to get the item(s). We will try riding around this weekend to see how that works.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140057.JPG
  • P1140058.JPG
  • P1140059.JPG
  • P1140060.JPG
  • P1140061.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#898 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:52 PM

Glad you got it supported well! I hated the thought of you bending that plate!

• larrybl said thank you

#899 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Kenny, I added the eye bolts to the back plate to see if some cargo straps would help. I didn't see much difference with them. I guess a test ride with some weight this weekend. I did email the Tractor club president with some questions. Here is his reply.

Hello,

Garden tractors, farm tractors, engines and anything of historic value is welcome at the show.  We don't mark out specific locations for exhibitors, but have a area that generally has tractors that we strongly discourage setting up tents, we have another area that is a little more relaxed and has people set up to camp.  You can absolutely drive it around and we have a parade at 1:00 pm that you can join in.  We have people showing up as early as Wednesday and the trailers will be rolling in very early Saturday.  If you are here Friday you can join us for a free supper at 7:00pm. Let me know if you have any more questions and I look forward to meeting you at the show!

Thanks,
Dustin

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140064.JPG
  • P1140065.JPG

Edited by larrybl, September 16, 2015 - 07:48 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#900 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:00 PM

I have been talking to the secretary so they would let us setup in the area I will be driving my Sears around some but since my family will be there I will probably doing a lot of walking. If you decided to bring it the night before you can lock it up with my stuff I'm bringing a chain and locking my stuff to one of Ray's tractors not that it won't be but it would help me sleep better that night.

Edited by bbuckler, September 16, 2015 - 08:13 PM.