Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:16 AM

He got all the 9/16 removed, I am working on the 5/8 as they are bolted into the rear axle housing and I don't want to snap one off. That happened on Hulk II and it was difficult to drill out and tap. PB is working.

#62 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Still trying to removing the rear plate I need to remove the top axel fill fitting. I assumed it would be low enough on oil that I could just remove it. Not! I pulled the plug and found it to be full, and from the looks clean. I'll need to drain before I can finish removing the rear plate.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110193.JPG
  • P1110194.JPG

#63 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 11:35 PM

I finished tearing Her down to all the basic components. Other than the clutch bracket and some serious rust around the battery area, everything else looks very restorable. I had a fit getting the wire harness off as they routed the wires through the top transaxle bracket, and the grommet is too small to pull the wires out. Transaxle oil was drained, looked good. Now the long process of cleaning, sanding, and painting can begin. Oh, I bought a new impact, HF had a double hammer on sale for $19.99 and I picked up their "Black Friday" sale fliers, I see a few more Items I'll get for Christmas

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110197.JPG
  • P1110199.JPG
  • P1110202.JPG
  • P1110204.JPG
  • P1110205.JPG
  • P1110206.JPG
  • P1110207.JPG

• MH81 and MountainMichael have said thanks

#64 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 12:52 AM

I finished my chores early thanks to the extra hour today. I started with removing the frozen throttle cable, I guess it was getting bad based on the damage to the dash. I think I can repair this. Next I pulled the plugs, both look good and are the same type. I then fixed the + battery terminal. I drained and removed the Gas tank, the gas smelled like varnish. I installed my clean test tank and filled it with fresh gas which has been treated. I removed the drive belt and found the clutch pedal was detached from the clutch bracket. (Glad I removed the belt). Pulled the battery from the BMP and installed, hooked up the battery charger on trickle. Got the other Fire Extinguisher from the old shop, Checked the safeties and verified the key switch worked by bumping the starter (It turned over 1/4 to 1/2 turn) I'm exited now! Freed up the throttle cable and re-attached. All I am waiting on now is the video camera to charge so I can film this.

When you get to the dash, might I suggest a picking up a few of the items in this thread: http://gardentractor...on/#entry267981
  • larrybl, wvbuzzmaster and MountainMichael have said thanks

#65 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks MH, I have used the Plastic weld on the BMP's dash, it was close to the same shape as his. Old Girl's dash is in real good shape. the only area I need to work on is around the throttle area, and my plan is to re-enforce with a metal backing plate, and some plastic weld to fix the cosmetics.

On another note, the machine seemed to be well maintained. Oil was clean and full in both the engine and transaxle. Steering components had grease, looks like the zerks were used.   

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:07 AM

Glad to hear some maintenance was applied to this machine! It's gonna look real nice when you get it done!

#67 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Worked on the shifter label some this morning. I can print this out on a sheet of 8" X 11" translucent adhesive paper. I did a small one on Hulk II several years ago and it has held up well. Here is the original, and my power point duplication.

Attached Thumbnails

• hulk ii.JPG
  • SHIFT DECAL 1.jpg
  • SHIFT DECAL ORGINAL.JPG

• MH81, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#68 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Posted a video for those watching on youtube https://www.youtube....-tLIZkrLxjJEtbA

I need a better video camera. We started with rust removal. Used a welder tool to chip most of the loose stuff off. Looking better already! Shop vac is almost full.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110214.JPG
  • P1110216.JPG
  • P1110217.JPG
  • P1110223.JPG
  • P1110224.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#69 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:44 PM

nice tractor and ambitious project,,I use a "hot wrench" on any seized part to avoid breaking and having to drill and tap or worse.

• larrybl said thank you

#70 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:01 PM

nice tractor and ambitious project,,I use a "hot wrench" on any seized part to avoid breaking and having to drill and tap or worse.

I'll have to look into what a "hot wrench" is. For the most part, the broken "weldment" has been re-welded, and the broke bolt in the parking brake lever has been drilled out. All the other broken bolts (even some of the one's that didn't break) will be replaced. This is the long part of the restore, but hay, It's winter and better to have something to do inside on the cold dark evenings :dancingbanana:  

• MH81 said thank you

#71 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 01:41 AM

Posted a video for those watching on youtube

I need a better video camera. We started with rust removal. Used a welder tool to chip most of the loose stuff off. Looking better already! Shop vac is almost full.

On scale, I sometimes will use a needle scaler. Takes a good compressor to keep up, but it is nice. Like any tool, pros and cons.

• larrybl and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#72 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Worked on the shifter label some this morning. I can print this out on a sheet of 8" X 11" translucent adhesive paper. I did a small one on Hulk II several years ago and it has held up well. Here is the original, and my power point duplication.

That label is looking good!

• larrybl said thank you

#73 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:00 AM

I had to remove bolts from 30 weld nuts on a 70 year old project truck..the first two bolts snapped and had to be drilled and threaded,,,always time consuming drilling/tapping hardened bolts. The remainder I used the hot wrench(oxygen/propane) to warm the nut for easy bolt removal. Anytime there is doubt regarding a seized bolt I use a hot wrench.

• larrybl said thank you

#74 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:28 PM

All the bolts are removed (except on the engine) that will be separate from the chassis. Working on rust removal, doing what I can in the shop but I need to take this out side and pressure wash it then beat the loose stuff off, then sand it. After that I can bring it back in for the final prep for painting. It is supposed to be in the 70's this weekend so I hope to get a lot of cleaning done.

• KennyP said thank you

#75 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 11:05 PM

Not much done this week, A couple decals made and some rust removal. I will try using JB to smooth out the worst rust areas, but these areas are hidden and the metal is still fairly thick, so the JB will just be a test.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110238.JPG
  • P1110239.JPG
  • P1110241.JPG
  • P1110244.JPG
  • P1110245.JPG
  • P1110246.JPG

• Gabriel and MountainMichael have said thanks