Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Still a work in progress, Came home today after work to load Her up to take to town tomorrow to see about the muffler build. The leak has returned. I am thinking it may not be from the seal as it is almost the same as before. I need to get the muffler issue resolved then see about getting another timing cover gasket for a third attempt at fixing the leak. At this point I am at a loss as how to install the seal (if it is the source). I used heavy grease and made sure the seal was even, and heated the copper washers till red and squelched them. And used a new timing cover gasket. (I am thinking of Permetex this time) and used all the proper torques. I'll work on the muffler (keep checking the Oil) and park her on cardboard till I have time to try this again. My BMP has an issue that I have to deal with now. Ran him out of gas, and now he will only run with full choke. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130198.JPG
  • P1130199.JPG
  • P1130200.JPG
  • P1130201.JPG
  • P1130202.JPG

• MH81 and Gabriel have said thanks

#677 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Sounds like blue sucked up some dirt.

Sorry about Old Girls leak, hope its just that seal and not something more difficult.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#678 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 01:22 PM

They are looking over the muffler issue now, sounds promissing as he asked me if I wanted it powder coated with hi-temp black when they finish. I'll check on it later this afternoon. I was thinking about the oil leak issue and was wondering if it might be from the oil pan gasket? (If the oil level is right at the full mark, is the oil at or above the pan gasket?) I could lower the oil level to around a pint low, and see if the leak stops. Or I can pull the flywheel this weekend and take a closer look at the seal, and the oil pan. I didn't check the pan well the first time, this time I will remove the shroud bottom bracket. I'll add another oil pan gasket to the cart along with the timing gear cover gasket next payday. I'll get this whipped sooner or later.

• MH81 said thank you

#679 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 09:54 PM

I unloaded Old Girl from the trailer when I got home. It sat on the patio for a couple hours and a couple small oil spots appeared. I drove Her down to get the mail (at least 5 minuets of running) then parker Her. The Oil spots didn't appear till after a couple hours of setting. It is coming off the frame under the Timing gear cover (which has been changed along with the seal). I plan on pulling the flywheel and bottom shroud bracket to inspect the seal / gasket / oil pan area thoroughly next weekend. I am planning to order a timing cover gasket and oil pan gasket. It doesn't seem to leak while running (but I haven't placed it on cardboard for this). It only seems to make the big puddle after sitting overnight. I'll take another picture of this in the morning.
PS, The muffler guy didn't have time today to work on the solution, so another trip will need to be made next week when he isn't so busy.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130203.JPG
  • P1130206.JPG

#680 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 09:19 PM

I have company coming over this weekend so I may not get the flywheel pulled to find the leak. I rode Her to the mailbox again, but laid down cardboard in the yard and let her run for 20 minuets while I crawled under her and looked with a flashlight. Leaks slightly when running, more sow when sitting.) Can't really determine where the leak originates. Back mounting bolt has a good buildup (possibly indicating oil pump) but after wiping everything down the leak moved to the front mounting bolt. Grrrr. Funds are low, so there will be some riding time this weekend and hopefully enough crud will accumulate to show me just which gasket needs changed.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130207.JPG
  • P1130210.JPG
  • P1130211.JPG
  • P1130212.JPG
  • P1130214.JPG
  • P1130217.JPG
  • P1130218.JPG
  • P1130219.JPG

#681 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 10:05 PM

I may have said it before, but Old Girl is the largest (size, HP, and torque) that I have ever attempted a restore on. I feel privileged to have come a crossed this. Still some issues to iron out but I will fix these, just may take some time.

Here is an outside walk around.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130221.JPG

• MH81 and bbuckler have said thanks

#682 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 11:35 PM

I let others play with my toys today. Yes, he was real impressed. Watching the oil level real close. One "tic" below the full mark and the oil leak has lessened. Still leaning towards the oil pan gasket.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130229.JPG

• MH81, KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#683 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 02:16 PM

HI LARRY
I WATCHED AS YOU TORE DOWN AND CLEANED UP THE 19.9 ONAN BLOCK AND PARTS, ALL GASKET SURFACES WERE VERY CLEAN AND SHINNY, SEEMS THAT YOU MAY HAVE USED AN ABRASIVE WHEEL OR DISC TO CLEAN OFF OLD GASKET MATERIAL, YEARS OF EXPERENCE HAS TAUGHT ME NOT TO USE WHEELS OR DISC ON ALUMINUM GASKET SURFACES, THE SURFACES CAN BECOME UNLEVEL VERY EASLY, SO IT MAY NOT BE A GASKET PROBLEM WITH THE OIL LEAK, ONLY UNLEVEL SURFACES, AT THIS POINT SOME SEALER IS NECESSARY. BEEN DOING THIS A LONG TIME, NOT A POSTER THAT THINKS A 2 CYCLE ENGINE HAS A CAM.
HANG IN THERE
JIMMY
  • larrybl said thank you

#684 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Georgia SS I think you are correct, I did use a nylon wheel to remove the pan gasket as it was really stuck on. All the others came off almost fully intact. I have a cart built on the Onan site for the pan gasket, and a few others just-in-case.

#685 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 07:44 PM

PS
HI LARRY
I HAVE A SUGGESTION IF YOU DECIDE TO PULL & CHECK THE OIL PAN, I USE A PEICE OF HEAVY PLATE GLASS LAYED ON A FLAT SURFACE WITH A SHEET OF 80 GRIT WET OR DRY SAND PAPER, SOAKED IN DEISEL FUEL OR OILY MINERAL SPIRITS FOR LUBRICATION, MOVE TO EDGE OF TABLE SO THE OIL FILL PIPE CAN HANG OUT IN OPEN, RUB THE PAN BACK & FORTH ON THE RED NECK SURFACER TO CHECK FOR LEVEL, IF WET WILL CUT FAIRLY FAST. USUALLY DO THIS ON MOST ALL ONAN PANS WHEN BUILDING ENGINES. WITH FLYWHEEL OUT OF WAY A BIT OF AIR PRESS. IN THE OIL FILL SPOUT MAY SHOW LEAK BETTER, NOT OVER 4-5 PSI. I HAD AN OIL PAN SOMEONE HAD OVER TIGHTENED THE DRAIN PIPE AND CRACKED THE PAN BUT WOULD SHOW UP ON PTO SIDE
GOOD LUCK
JIMMY
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#686 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Well it looks like another modification is needed. I think I'll have a gusset added to the clutch idler bracket when I pull the engine to replace / seal the oil pan gasket. Another member on here has a failure, and seeing Old Girl had the same failure at one time tells me that I need to beef this weld up.

Attached Thumbnails

• attachment1.jpg
  • attachment2.jpg
  • attachment3.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#687 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 12:59 PM

I talked with the fabricators yesterday, the plan is for me to bring the clutch bracket in on Monday and they will add a gusset and they are making a new hood bracket for me (the JB didn't hold). Hopefully I can place the order for the gaskets this week (Mr. Onan should have caught enough fish by now). I have pulled the engine and placed it in a towel (after wiping down the bottom of the oil pan) and wiped all around the pan. As far as I can tell, it is not the seal, oil pump, filter, or timing cover. The paper tower should reveal the leak location tomorrow, as the cardboard shows 24 hours from last night. Once I have Old Girl back together, then we will re-visit the muffler build.

Attached Thumbnails

• 24 hours.JPG
  • P1130286.JPG
  • P1130287.JPG
  • P1130290.JPG
  • P1130291.JPG
  • P1130292.JPG
  • P1130293.JPG
  • P1130295.JPG
  • P1130296.JPG

#688 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 02:48 PM

Did you put an oil pressure gauge on this? Could it come from that!

• larrybl and milkman44 have said thanks

#689 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Yes I put a oil pressure gauge, and that was the first place I checked again. Looking at the front seal close, and I think it too is ok. I am seeing some seepage at the oil pan corner right now. May be more telling in the morning. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130302.JPG
  • P1130303.JPG
  • P1130305.JPG
  • P1130306.JPG
  • P1130308.JPG
  • P1130311.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#690 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Looks like the leak is at the pan gasket. I torqued per the manual 25 - 35fp (I set my wrench to 30fp) Kinda glad it is the pan gasket easy fix, Once I get a new gasket I plan on using sealant this time.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130314.JPG
  • P1130317.JPG
  • P1130318.JPG