Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:24 PM

No, I need a clamp type setup. If I take it somewhere to be welded, it will be crooked. The clamp will allow me to adjust it straight then tightnen the clamp.

#632 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Working on a plan "C" I think that is where I am at with the mufflers..... Anyhow I will go looking for 1-1/4 muffler clamps, and clamp the NPT pipe inside the manifold, and go with all 1" NPT fittings.

That should work well.
Do you have a local source?
  • larrybl and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#633 johnwesley OFFLINE  

johnwesley
  • Member No: 12416
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Larry, I've been watching this from the beginning. On MTF you asked about the power  of the Onan to cut high grass. I will tell you, I have a 18 HP Onan, it has never lacked for power. The only problem I've ever had,was the belt that runs the blades. It is a smaller belt that will slip in tall grass. Forget about that Onan, it will not bog down. Not the best cut I ever saw, but it will never stop.

JWO

• larrybl said thank you

#634 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Believe it or not I spent the day hopping between stores to find 1-1/4 muffler clamps. O-Riley's, AutoZone, Tractor supply, Waco Motorsports, Fastenal, Pep Boys, then back to the office to search McMaster-Carr. Closest I could find were 1-1/2, come to find out at Napa that is what I need, but he didn't have any. Now to remember where I saw them. On another note I was able to find all the 1" plumbing to make this work.   

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130065.JPG
  • P1130066.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#635 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:53 PM

Larry, I've been watching this from the beginning. On MTF you asked about the power  of the Onan to cut high grass. I will tell you, I have a 18 HP Onan, it has never lacked for power. The only problem I've ever had,was the belt that runs the blades. It is a smaller belt that will slip in tall grass. Forget about that Onan, it will not bog down. Not the best cut I ever saw, but it will never stop.

JWO

Thanks, that was where I was comparing BMP's 14hp single cylinder Kohler and 50" deck to the old Girls 20hp Onan twin with a 48" deck. 

• KennyP said thank you

#636 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:34 PM

HEY JOHN & LARRY
I HAVE BEEN CUTTING GRASS WITH ACOUPLE OF GT18 W/ 48" DECKS FOR OVER TWENTY FIVE YEARS, YOU MENTIONED THE DECK BELT SLIPPING A GOOD BELT AND THE RIGHT IDLER SPRING WILL STOP BELT SLIPPING, THESE DECKS WERE NOT DESIGNED TO BE ROTARY MOWERS, BUT I TRY SOMETIMES, THE BLADES ARE TOO CLOSE TO THE DECK TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE DEBRIS AS FAST AS IT CAN BE CUT, THE EXIT GETS CLOGGED, LARRY TALK ABOUT POWER, YOU WILL HAVE EXCESS TO CUT GRASS, BUT YOUR NEW CARB. PROBABLY CUT YOU BACK 2-3 HORSEPOWER W/ THE SMALL VENTURA, YOUR EXHAUST WILL CUT ANOTHER COUPLE OF H.P. THOSE ELBOWS REALLY RESTRICT, BUILD A SET OF HEADERS AND LET THAT BABY SOUND LIKE A HARLEY.
HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY
  • johnwesley said thank you

#637 johnwesley OFFLINE  

johnwesley
  • Member No: 12416
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:59 AM

GeorgiaSS,  Agree with good belts and spring. I run the kevlar belts. Talking about slipping, is when I use it instead of cranking the tractor and 6' bush hog :D​ . I do wish the deck was a better high flow design tho'. My exhaust is basically like Larry's, get idle real slow, sounds very Harleyesque!

JWO 

• KennyP said thank you

#638 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 10:46 AM

GeorgiaSS,  Agree with good belts and spring. I run the kevlar belts. Talking about slipping, is when I use it instead of cranking the tractor and 6' bush hog :D​ . I do wish the deck was a better high flow design tho'. My exhaust is basically like Larry's, get idle real slow, sounds very Harleyesque!

JWO 

Yes they do!

• johnwesley said thank you

#639 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Got the muffler clamps and installed them. everything is tight and not moving now. Yep I am playing with it, I lowered the idle to see how close to a Harley I could get it to sound. I am kinda liking this sound. Loud in the shop but once out in the open with the hood on it may be good. Definitely a different sound than the neighbor mowers make!
  • KennyP, johnwesley and Sawdust have said thanks

#640 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 08:48 AM

Sounds real good!

#641 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Smooth and powerful. I like it.
Just don't forget the earplugs!
  • larrybl and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#642 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:56 AM

The pepper shakers will allow me to install the hood after I replace the timing cover seal I buggered up, then I plan on adding tires, and taking the whole machine down to see if the fabricated muffler can be re-worked to fit.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#643 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Well, the regulator was supposed to be delivered today, oh well maybe tomorrow, in the mean time I decided to determine what size the drive belt needs to me. The part # is 2692R (5/8" X 84") and I have the original Roper belt with this part number. I installed it for a test fit, and even with the adjustment idler pulley in the full up position the belt seems loose. I have heard I need a 82" and an 83". I guess I'll take the middle road with the 83" and see how it fits. Oh, the clutch spring fell off..... what a PITA to install, I had to pull the battery to reach (contort my arm) under the battery tray to get it back on.  

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130084.JPG
  • P1130088.JPG

#644 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:08 AM

That 84" could be stretched. If you are getting the belt locally, take that one along and measure it! If your mule drive has lots of adjustment, you can probably get by with the 83", but I would check it against the belt you have there first.

• larrybl said thank you

#645 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:18 AM

My 19.9 lost a belt recently. I half remembered that it was supposed to be an 82.5... Bought an 82.

That's was wrong, way to short, no clutch at all. Wild test ride.

The belt I will buy next is an 83. Surprised the 84 is so far off... I wonder if its stretched a little and the width is worn some. Compounded problems.
  • larrybl, wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks