Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Texas has froze over. It was an interesting drive home from work yesterday. I have a 35 mile drive, mostly straight road, and 75mph speed limit, with one town "McGregor" that I pass through. Completely un-eventful and 75 all the way to McGregor. Stopped in town to fill up, and pick up some weekend refreshments. From McGregor it is about 8 miles to the house. I was tooling along and noticed the tack jumping a little, then I felt the rear-end slip sideways some. I let off the gas and almost lost it.... So I hit the clutch and slowed from 70 to 30, then 20. That is when a car coming at me decided to take a short cut into the corn field, and another in front of me tried to slow using brakes and did a wild loop-t-loop and ended stopping on the shoulder. Another mile and there was Fire trucks assisting someone else that decided to take a corn field shortcut. Got home and turned on the scanner and listened to all the calls for vehicles in the ditches. Today isn't much better, but the ice is melting some. Stayed home and tried to paint some. Got the black done, but I need this to harden a couple days so I can mask it without it pealing off.  OH don't forget to change your GTtalk calendars.         

Attached Thumbnails

• Gttalk.JPG
  • Ice 1.JPG
  • Ice 2.JPG
  • Ice 3.JPG
  • Paint.JPG
  • Trim.JPG

• MH81, KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#347 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Glad you didn't take a shortcut through the cornfield! Bet you guys don't get much ice down there!

• larrybl said thank you

#348 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 06:51 PM

in 20 years I can remember three times when we got Ice and snow. I actually built an igloo one year!

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#349 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:45 PM

Then this is quite winter for you. I am getting so tired of the cold weather by now.

• larrybl said thank you

#350 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:53 PM

I am not looking to go into the "block" on the N52M engine, but I do want to replace the seals and gaskets. Is this the correct kit I need to order? 

http://onanparts.com...products_id=119

Their return policy is pretty explicit.

#351 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:30 PM

For heavens sake be careful. That 1/32 inch of ice coulds be hazardous.
  • larrybl said thank you

#352 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 06:18 AM

I am not looking to go into the "block" on the N52M engine, but I do want to replace the seals and gaskets. Is this the correct kit I need to order? 

From what their "it fits" says, yes that would be the correct set.

• larrybl said thank you

#353 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 09:46 AM

I would check with the sponsors and see if they have a kit for it. They will verify correctness for you and are much easier to contact than someone whose name starts with "www."
  • larrybl and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#354 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the comments, I'll do more research, but I need to get the engine kit ordered soon. Weather has not cooperated at all. I tried to paint her nose but the paint wasn't laying good and was cratering. I had the shop warmed to 72* but the parts were still cold. I will need to sand this down with 400 grit and try again once the weather warms and I can get the parts warmed up above 70*. I know I will need to remove the nose and hood before I install the engine, but I need to free up shop space to work on the engine. At least I got a smile on the Old Girl this weekend. Other than picking up all the tools, We just played games most of the day. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120157.JPG
  • P1120158.JPG
  • P1120161.JPG
  • P1120163.JPG
  • P1120165.JPG
  • P1120166.JPG
  • P1120167.JPG
  • P1120168.JPG
  • P1120169.JPG

• MH81, KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#355 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Pulled the trigger on the Onan gasket and seals kit. Found good comments about the "onanparts" site on the other forum. We will see.

#356 johnwesley OFFLINE  

johnwesley
  • Member No: 12416
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Larry,

Are you sure that you don't have some type of contamination on the nose?

#357 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 07:42 PM

No, after sanding with 400, I washed in the bathtub and rinsed well. This happens when the parts are cold. It has been re-sanded and I am waiting on warmer weather now.

#358 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:31 PM

It looks like I will be re-ringing based on an post from "Onan.com in my thread over at the other site. With that kind of support I should have no issues. I also received an email from them confirming the gasket kit shipped, and they included a Service manual .pdf in the email. I also may have found decent mufflers, so I'll be pulling those off shorty to make sure they will fit.

"---Quote (Originally by larrybl)---
I did some research, and found a couple good posts about "onanparts" on here, so I ordered the gasket and seal kit from them. Around $180.00 but when I get in to the restore of the N52M I have not decided to hone and re-ring, but I might.
---End Quote---

Hi Larry,
Great thread! :thThumbsU
Gasket kit was shipped out yesterday and you should see it tomorrow or Friday at the latest.
Several different thickness rings were used on the N52M. If the pistons were ever replaced a third possibility exists. We have all three styles and the dimensions for each shown.
If you opt to replace the rings please measure the thickness and of course the bore size. :)"

#359 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:44 PM

It really looks like I have a plan coming together. I am almost positive that I found some OEM mufflers, and will know soon if they will work. Engine gaskets and seals should be here tomorrow. After I get the nose and hood painted I'll work on clearing an area to rebuild the engine. Looks like I'll be going into the block, but that is a good thing so I can check the oil pump and other things. Plan on lots of detail pictures. On another note, we are supposed to get 1/4 ice and 1/2 sleet in the morning. The wind is a constant 30mph and gusts to 40 from the north. Temp was 65* today and is close to 32* now and falling.  

#360 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Just to keep you in the loop with the conversations over there, lots of good info being provided. I hope this doesn't cross any lines.

(ME)
I was on the fence about going into the block, but with the support of Onan.com and GT-80 for "hopefully" getting some OEM mufflers, I feel that it is the "right" thing to go with a complete engine restore to complement the "Old Girl".

(ONAN.COM)
You're welcome!

Since you are considering a re-ring here is some info on them for you and anyone else that comes along. When you see the following it becomes very clear why you can't assume, guess or even go by the full model and spec numbers when determining the correct rings to use.

For the big bore Onan twins, 3.560" or 3 9/16" STD bore size.

Note: The N52M is a big bore but destroked from 24HP down to 19.9HP.
Stroke is 2.64 compared to 3.00 on the 24HP models. Also the compression ratio on the N52M is 6.5 to 1 Vs. the 7.0 to 1 on the 24HP engines.

OK, now the ring stuff.....

An N52M with a spec letter of "A" should or could have these rings:

Old part #113-0202

New part #113-0312

The ring thickness is as follows:

Top: 3/32 or .093" or 2.3 MM

Second: 3/32 or .093" or 2.3 MM

Oil ring: 3/16 or .186" or 4.75 MM

An N52M with a spec letter of "B" should or could have these rings:

Old part #113-0203

New part #113-0296

Top: 5/64 or .078" or 2.0 MM

Second: 5/64 or .078" or 2.0 MM

Oil ring: 3/16 or .186" or 4.75 MM

But, if fitted with later style pistons it "might" have these rings:

Top: .058" 1/16 or 1.5 MM
Second: .058" 1/16 or 1.5 MM
Oil ring: .125" 1/8 or 3.0 MM

Unless you are actually holding the rings in one hand and a mic or dial/digital caliper in the other you will have a very difficult time figuring out the correct rings to get.

(ME)
When I pull the pistons, I'll make sure to check this. I plan on taking the block and pistons (and your information) to the shop that bored my Briggs 18hp Opposed. They have the equipment to measure and see what I have and need to do.

Thanks a lot!

(ONAN.COM)
If a spec "A" it should have forged steel rods with bearing inserts. If a spec "B" it should have aluminum rods. The rod is the bearing.

Steel rods: Obsolete but inserts available from Onan and aftermarket, all sizes.

Aluminum rods available in STD, .010 but only "2" left at .020 and none at .030 undersize. We don't have the aluminum ones but can point you in the right direction if needed.

(ME)
All Good! I plan to take my time on the restore, and should know in the next couple months as to what I need. I hope a simple re-ring and hone, but will listen to advice of the machine shop and members here.

Thanks!

• KennyP said thank you