Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jaques Mighty Mite Turning Into A Full Blown Restoration.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 RobR OFFLINE  

RobR
  • Member No: 82392
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 06:01 PM

BTW, thanks for the tutorial on the Ross steering box.  Now I know what to expect.

Yes, my tractor is complete.  Note the "parking brake" (two large pieces of angle iron on the end of two chains used to put in front of the rear tires.  The P.O. did that as well as adding the slab steel weight on the front.  I'll keep the weight on, but the home made parking brake had to go.  The tractor also came with a one row set of cultivators.  I love the simplicity of the hookup for the plow.  I'll get to the implements some day.  It's funny finding different size bolts, nuts that the original owner used along the way.  Also, nails for cotter pins just about everywhere.  I'll be correcting all that as I go along. 

• classic said thank you

#32 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 06:42 PM

You're welcome. It's typical to have to undo past repairs and added on things with these old machines. At least your tractor is very complete, and that will make the restoration a bit easier. The weight up front would help with steering in the woods or in snow. I can't wait to get back to working on the Mighty Mite, but I have to continue working on my '56 Power King tractor. That tractor also has a Ross steering box like the Mighty Mite, and it was completely shot. The worm gear shaft and sector shaft are both worn beyond use, the steering column tube was broken in two, and the steering wheel was falling apart. Most of the parts on the Power King were worn out, broken, bent, or decomposing. It's been a long haul finding parts and cleaning things up for reassembly.

#33 RobR OFFLINE  

RobR
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 05:29 PM

I'm sure your Power King is going to look and run great after your restoration.  I started out looking for an old round hood Economy or Jim Dandy as they were called back then.  Not sure of the evolution of the series of names, but they are great little tractors.  In my search, I stumbled upon the Mighty Mite, a tractor I never even heard of.  It caught my eye immediately and was only about 20 miles away.  The sellers were super nice people who wanted to see the tractor restored.  I keep in touch with them and will invite them over to see it in person when it's finished.  I only paid $200, but you know what we put into these restorations.  I think it's a great hobby and it's money I don't mind spending.  My wife is very understanding, but does refer to the MM and a couple of my past projects as pieces of junk when I first drag them home.  The question from most people who don't understand our passion is "what are you going to do with it"?  I just have a suburban lot and no need for a garden tractor.  I think I was bitten by the bug when I saw those old Economy ads in the back of Popular Mechanics as a kid and seeing the first gold and blue David Bradley Suburbans when I went to Sears with my parents.  I guess I got a bit off topic, but I enjoy the challenge and have a ball bringing them back to life.

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#34 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:27 PM

The PK is a tractor that I want for regular use, so when a basket case round hood showed up for sale locally, I went and picked it up. I did have to buy many parts to be able to rebuild the tractor. The list is shorter for the parts that were still good than the list of replacement parts. It wasn't something that I could change the fluids in and make some adjustments. It's worth rebuilding though, and at least I'll know the condition of everything. It won't be long before it's done now.
I like the old gold and blue DB Suburbans. I picked up a '59 and cleaned it up a bit. It's in good shape and runs good, but the engine is a little tired. I have a box full of NOS Briggs parts to rebuild the engine, and I'll get around to it at some point. Some of the tractors that I have see regular use, but others are restoration projects that I'll only use once in a while. I like to restore the older tractors for the fun of it. If I use it, great, and if it sits most of the time, that's fine too. I took my Gibson about 1/4 mile down the road to my parents house the other day. I cut up some dead trees that needed to be cleaned up. The neighbor stopped me on the road as I was leaving to look at the Gibson. He was amazed at how simply the tractor was built and couldn't believe how old it was. Good conversation is another plus with this hobby, so how can you go wrong getting involved.
200 was a very good price for the Mighty Mite, and it sound like you met some real nice people. They will be real happy that the tractor is in good hands and will see a new life. People that don't think it's worth restoring these machines are most likely thinking that it wouldn't be worth it for them. Well, it's not worth it to me to get into some hobbies that other people get into. Usually people that only make negative comments towards the garden tractor hobby aren't worth hanging around with anyway, HA!
Here are a few pics of the PK as found buried in a shed along with an old pic of a PK, the Gibson with a load of wood, and the '59 DB Suburban. I tend to get a little off topic myself.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-52970-0-40178600-1407025859.jpg
  • 33746d1108526620-how-many-bottom-plow-per-586362-s-power-king-6-a.jpeg
  • 20160512_140121.jpg
  • 20141113_111537-1-1.jpg
  • 20150723_104814-1.jpg
  • $_57-1-1.jpg
  • 20141009_191957-1.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#35 RobR OFFLINE  

RobR
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 05:25 AM

Love the photos!  I think we share the same taste in the old classics.  I still kick myself for passing on a gold and blue DB Suburban about a year ago.  I thought it was priced a bit too high.  It was all there and came with a nice mower deck.  Darn!  I never could find an Economy like yours either.  It's great to have a photo of the original owner on the Economy when it was almost new.  I also have some photos of the Mighty Mite with the original owner's daughter (the lady I bought it from) on the seat and her mom holding her baby sister.  

I heard from my friend who is working on my Briggs ZZ.  He got spark by cleaning the points.  The coil proved to be very good when he checked it out with an ohm meter.  His next step is to rebuild the carb.  I supplied him with a carb kit, but he is a little worried about the loose throttle shaft.  After the rebuild, he'll see if he can get it running.  If so, he wants to do a valve job and replace seals and anything else it needs.  He's really a Kohler expert, so this is a learning experience for him as well.  His question is seals and gaskets for the ZZ.  I only gave him a head gasket.  Do you know a source for other seals and gaskets?

001.jpg

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#36 RobR OFFLINE  

RobR
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 03:50 PM

IMG_3462.JPG I just finished overhauling my Twin Disc Clutch (model V1045) for my 1947 Jaques Mighty Mite.  I wanted to post some information that may help anyone interested in doing the same.  Twin Disc Clutch Company, Racine, WI continues to sell part #3657a, driving ring, and part #5897a, driving plate, through distributors only.  My local distributor is Great Lakes Power.  The Twin Disc. website lists all distributors around the country.  The parts were $43.00 and $45.00 + shipping.  In order to get to the driving plate which is sandwiched between the two steel pressure type plates, you must remove the woodruff key from the clutch body which prevents these parts to slide off the body.  It can be difficult, but I had success by applying Liquid Wrench, allowing it to work for about a half hour.  I placed the body and plate assembly in a vice, holding it by the plates.  There is enough of the woodruff key exposed to grab it with a pair of vice grips.  When you get a good grip, tap the nose of the vice grips with a hammer to pull the key out.  It kind of "rocked" out from one side, so reposition the vice grips to get an even better hold of the key and finish tapping to remove completely.  I didn't distort the key which can be reused.  

• classic said thank you

#37 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 04:34 PM

Great write up on the clutch, Rob! These new fiber driving plates and driving rings from the Twin Disc clutch company also work for the clutches in the Gard'n Mast'r Jr. tractors. They also had a 4-1/2" clutch but there were two different ones that I have come across.One is the Dodge Manufacturing 45 Rolling grip clutch, and the other was made by Carlile Johnson. It's great to know that these clutch wear parts are still available.
Those original pictures of your tractor are great to see. I see a tag above the grill mesh that appears to be riveted in place. Is there anything written on or stamped into that plate?

#38 RobR OFFLINE  

RobR
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 05:48 AM

You have a good eye!  Yes, there is a 2" X 4" aluminum plate riveted to the nose of my tractor.  National Farm Equipment Co., Inc., NY 12, NY.  One of the first things I did was to carefully remove that tag as well as the serial number and clutch adjustment tags on the dash to clean them up and replace them after the tractor is painted.  

Speaking of tags, was "Jaques" painted on the wire mesh grill or was it an actual tag?  That would be a real bonus to have.  Thinking ahead, the wire mesh grill on mine is intact, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a stainless diamond mesh of the same type which would freshen up the tired old steel grill.  I'm going to look around for that type of mesh screen.

post-82392-0-59938800-1464259697_thumb.j

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3464.JPG

• classic said thank you

#39 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Here is an add for your tractor, Rob. The picture is quite a bit off and the front axle is shaped like a Gibson tractor front axle. It's still cool to see an add from the company that sold your tractor, though!

Attached Thumbnails

• $_1-29.jpeg

• Alc said thank you