• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 04:28 AM

I have an old Montgomery Wards single stage snowblower that has mounts which will physcially mount onto several tractors but the drive system won't work. I was thinking about mounting an engine to it for its own power just like an ATV blower. Does anyone know if the single stage blowers run at engine/deck speed or if they are geared down? Never acutally had one belted to a tractor. Should work okay with some fab work and figure it should throw snow like crazy. (unless someone has a Cub or Bolens blower they want to trade for it! :D )

Thanks

#2 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 05:51 AM

PTO speed often varied from brand to brand.

Your best bet would be to find out which tractor your snowblower was meant for, and find out what it's PTO speed is.

Then you can calculate what size pulleys you will need to get the right RPM to the blower.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Seeing that it's a single stage blower you want that front auger running fast.If it doesn't run fast enough it's not going to blow snow very well. I had mounted a John Deere 36" single stage blower onto a massey 10. The drive pulley was 4" and the driven pulley was 6" with it set up like that it worked fine. I had a Allis with a single stage blower with both the drive and driven pulley 6" and it worked good. The thing is with the single stage it need lots of impeller speed to beable to throw the snow.