#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Lousy T or T weather here today, but good garage time!  Got the Power King running again! Whoopee! fixed wires on switch end, new fuse box in place and it didn't run yet. durn. changed that puter box thing for the safety switches that I let smoke out of before and it started right up!  Yay!  I was SO happy! Guess the box was the main problem. Main harness shorted and burnt it up. 

Second thing today is the JEEP is back running! Whoopee!  Been going nuts trying to figure this one out. Thought fuel pump, but Nope, retried the wires and used the ground in the terminal and not the body and it was running. Found my pressure gauge and had plenty. SO, on to spark. Plugs are under this odd one long metal cover with the 3 coils in it and had to pull that off. Bought some wires to run from it to the plugs with one of those testers on one cylinder like book says. Wife cranked and no go! Tried things, got wife cranky again (really) and nothing. In fuse box was many selinoids. One said ASD on it. Huh?  Closest thing in book I could find was maybe Auto Shut Down.  I pulled selinoid from a working port and switched them, and wife cranky and not only lit the tester, but ran the engine!!! Wow!  So simple!  Put it all back together, still ran and started and went for drive. Seems good!! BUT, now what made the selinoid go bad in first place?  Think this is for bad accident or rollovers and such to shut off and prevent gas from running and burning. None of that happened for sure! 

Nest tried my Chinese Mini chopper.......but no go on that!  Was done for the night and came in, got on here to tell the story.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:45 PM

I think "whatchamacallit "would be a good general purpose word for you..I use it all the time..sounds like a great day!

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 05:04 AM

You two sound like such a loving couple......she is cranky......and you are grumpy......... awesome. Stay grumpy my friend!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 09:04 AM

The auto shut down in many cars is something that can be triggered by outside influence.
There was a model of car that people could bump an area under the dash and activate it,

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 09:49 AM

The ASD is a relay, not a solenoid. A relay is an electrical switch. All the powr to run the engine goes through the ASD and its common for the contact points in the relay to get burnt and not make contact. I guess Chrysler had to design something to let you down after they did away with the ballast resistor.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Relay, right! I get VOID mind trying to remember all the names for parts, thanks for clearing that up!   On the couple issue, we have resistance built up to each other and too dumb to leave each other, and really need each other more than we say! :big_hug:

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:00 AM

The auto shut down in many cars is something that can be triggered by outside influence.
There was a model of car that people could bump an area under the dash and activate it,

Fords.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:03 AM

The ASD is a relay, not a solenoid. A relay is an electrical switch. All the powr to run the engine goes through the ASD and its common for the contact points in the relay to get burnt and not make contact. I guess Chrysler had to design something to let you down after they did away with the ballast resistor.

yup....even though Mom's 98 Intrepid don't use a ballast resistor my Mom got mad  at me for taking hers out of the glove box, as all the cars she had before that one  had them, (so this one "has to, somewhere")  1st learned about those things on my brother's 70 Challenger