3 replies to this topic

#1 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 07:04 PM

I'm pretty sure you all have seen those trains they have at parties and fairs that are built on old garden tractors right? Well, needing a use for my sears suburban, and an old oil drum. So, I cut off one end of the drum, and made it fit over the front of the tractor without the hood and grille. Then I took an old Briggs motor, and made a base plate for it from some scrap. I welded that to the tractor frame, and lined the engine up useing bolts as guide pins. With that all set, I cut the front part of the frame from an old LT and welded it upside down, so the mower supports faced up. This was welded to the front of the engine plate. I added a piece of angle iron to it for support since the plate was bending with the drum on it. The front links were run from the LT frame to a bracket welded into the drum, and that is how it hinges open for maintanence. After that, I welded the old clutch bracket to the frame of the suburban, and put the idler pulley back on. Once the linkage has been shortened, it will move the arm like from the factory, to disengage the belt. That was as far as I got. It was at that point that I finally remembered to take some pics, so here they are-
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 06, 2010 - 08:45 AM

Its sort of hard to tell by the pics, but that looks like a very interesting project. :smile1:

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 06, 2010 - 10:54 PM

The pics are a little dark, are you going to make some cars to pull behind the tractor then? They have the "trains" at a couple of the shows and have rides for the kids.

#4 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 09:44 PM

yea, i took the pics with my phone after the sun was gonig down, so they came out dark. yes, we will make cars to give rides. That was part of the intent when we started, so we could earn a couple bucks over the summer.