• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 10:14 PM

My eldest grandson just bought his first home and informed me he needs a mower for his not too large yard. I remembered seeing a new looking Poulan mower sitting beside the building w/ all the unused display racks at our local Alco store. I gave it a pull and it had compression, so asked the mgr what the story was on it. He said it was returned because it seized up and if I wanted it take it. I had noticed oil on the deck under the muffler and thought that was sorta good news or really bad news. Got it home and removed the air filter and found the outer holes filled w/ a mixture of oil and dust. Removed the plug and it had oil on it but still sparked. Checked the oil and it wasn't touching the stick so added oil. Took it outside , poured a little gas down the carb  and it started on the 3rd pull and ran 'til the gas was gone. Tank was empty, filled it half full and poured a little more down the carb and it started first  pull and died. Hit the primer bulb three times and saw it squirt gas, pulled, it started and died. Tried this 3 more times w/ the same result. Took the carb off and found the main jet reservoir was full of oil. Cleaned it out and reassembled. Had to drop it and  make a run to Pocatello w/ the wife I'll finish up w/ it tomorrow and I think it's going to be fine. It appears to me the PO had it on it's side w/ the carb side down and it filled the cyl w/ oil causing hydrolock. After sitting for several months the oil leaked out of the cyl. If it runs OK I'll let it run about 15 min at WOT and then check the oil to see if it's making any metal. So w/ a little luck my grandkid gets a free mower.   

Mike    

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Sounds like a great deal, hope that's all it was for his sake.. :thumbs:

#3 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:32 AM

Nice, hopefully it turns out to be an easy fix like that. Sometimes you can get equipment cheap or free just because people try to work on it who have no idea what to do. I once got a push mower for free because it "smoked for a while and then stopped" after an oil change. After some investigation found that the motor oil was put into the gas tank! Not sure how they managed that one but after a fuel cleaning and actual oil change it was a great little mower.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:45 AM

Nice, hopefully it turns out to be an easy fix like that. Sometimes you can get equipment cheap or free just because people try to work on it who have no idea what to do. I once got a push mower for free because it "smoked for a while and then stopped" after an oil change. After some investigation found that the motor oil was put into the gas tank! Not sure how they managed that one but after a fuel cleaning and actual oil change it was a great little mower.

:bigrofl: Friend got one that was nearly brand new. PO said it smoked to much to use. Drained out the excess oil to proper level and it ran great!

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:35 AM

hopefully it will run fine for you.

My dad got a free large wheel push mower less than a year old, the front wheel came lose, they were going to pitch out cause they did not have the knowedge on how to tighten the nut on the back. :say_what:

He got another one from the same people, almost exact same mower, cause it wouldn't keep running, it was only about 1 1/2 yrs old. On that one, the plastic filter housing must've gotten hot and warped. It has the channel for the primer bulb so it was sucking air. I got an new part $26 and ran great.

That was 10-12 yrs ago for both, still use both of them at mom's and my house!

Edited by TAHOE, October 31, 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Reassembled and tried it out and it purrs like a kitten. Easy fix!! Now I guess I'll have figure out a reason to get it to him in Spokane 600 mi away before spring.
Mike
  • TAHOE said thank you