12 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I hauled home this very rough 960 last night mostly because I have a addiction ( that started over 20 years ago) and it's good therapy for me just hunting them. Plus I had a feeling this was going to scrap soon if I didn't strike a deal for it. A young guy (14) had it. It was already beat enough when he got it and had set for years outside in a flood prone area but he or someone wired the starter generator backwards and tried to start. The starter seems o be fried now. Th original  32 cubic inch 16 HP cast iron Briggs is gone replaced with a 30 cubic inch 12 version. I probably won't keep this one around but I did feel the need to save it.

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD 960.jpg
  • MTD 960.jpg 5.jpg
  • MTD 960.jpg 9.jpg
  • MTD 960.jpg 8.jpg
  • MTD 960.jpg 2.jpg
  • mtd 960 3.jpg
  • md 960 4.jpg
  • MTD 960.jpg 7.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 30, 2014 - 07:41 PM.

• hamman, KennyP, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Dope is dope..some is white powder or pills and cost alot..some is rusty with wheels and cost a lot..just about all cause marital problems..

• Jack said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:14 PM

What is that living underneath the seat?!!  You know I understand the addiction thing. But, . . .   you could still have a little pride.

• Bill56, rustyoldjunk, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:20 PM

LsD,that's whats left of the wood on the bottom of the boat seat. I'm proud of you,does that count ? :poke:

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 30, 2014 - 08:20 PM.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 10:01 PM

I understand saving them and all that but that has to be the worst dash I've seen on one of these tractors. :poke:  :smilewink:

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 12:13 AM

I agree Canawler but when you look at the rest of the build of these old MTDs it's hard to let it go over a dash. It is hard to believe to that MTD built these machines when you look at the steering gear setup,the frame,drive shaft / clutch setup,front hubs,and those massive rear pinch style hubs. Like anything over 40 years old these tractors are from a different era. On another with all these broken 760,860,960,990 dashes I am almost surprised someone isn't selling replacements by now.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 31, 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:54 AM

On another with all these broken 760,860,960,990 dashes I am almost surprised someone isn't selling replacements by now.

Hey, I would've tried to save it too if cheap enough. It's got to have some good parts.
On the dashes, there has been someone that seriously looked into having some made. It went as far as having an injection molding place quote it. The cost was just too high per unit.
  • rustyoldjunk and Bill 76 have said thanks

#8 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I hauled home this very rough 960 last night mostly because I have a addiction ( that started over 20 years ago) and it's good therapy for me just hunting them. Plus I had a feeling this was going to scrap soon if I didn't strike a deal for it. A young guy (14) had it. It was already beat enough when he got it and had set for years outside in a flood prone area but he or someone wired the starter generator backwards and tried to start. The starter seems o be fried now. Th original  32 cubic inch 16 HP cast iron Briggs is gone replaced with a 30 cubic inch 12 version. I probably won't keep this one around but I did feel the need to save it.

I have just got to ask......Is the clutch assembly intact? Where was this before I sent my 960 assembly off to be repaired? P.S. Are you going to part it out? I will take the clutch assembly if the throwout bearing is intact?  ken

#9 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:37 AM

I like the old ratty rusty machines myself,I know(sadly)that most of these pretty restored machines will never see dirt again..and I for one not only enjoy fixing up old junk...I enjoy using and breaking it as well.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, worst dash seems right!  Has the pto belt guard, a rarity on old ones. Has 5 bolt rear wheels and 3 bolt fronts. You sure the 960 didn't have the smaller engine? and the smaller wheels in back?  Maybe that is hood off parts machine and just has wrong decals then?  See not hydro, never had manual in any of mine. Would have rescued too if cheap.  But then, I'm getting cured of the "Disease" now and would not find it hard to walk away now!

• rustyoldjunk and ktznz have said thanks

#11 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, worst dash seems right!  Has the pto belt guard, a rarity on old ones. Has 5 bolt rear wheels and 3 bolt fronts. You sure the 960 didn't have the smaller engine? and the smaller wheels in back?  Maybe that is hood off parts machine and just has wrong decals then?  See not hydro, never had manual in any of mine. Would have rescued too if cheap.  But then, I'm getting cured of the "Disease" now and would not find it hard to walk away now!

I noticed the 16 HP decal, but on my '71 960, my engine is a 14 HP and I thought that mid-70s was a 15 HP engine.

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 04:37 PM

The same basic engine was rated 14hp in '71, 15hp in '72, and 16hp in '73 on up.

The hydro 990 and 4-speed 960 model used that engine

4-speed 860s were 12hp or 10hp depending on year

4-speed 760s were 10hp

4-speed 660s were 8hp

#13 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I took the bad starter generator off and with a rope gave it a whirl ( pun intended). The engine seems to run good and starts easy. That's a good sign. Maybe I will have a little more time to look at it in the next few days. I can see right off the gas tank valve is plugged so a fuel system clean up will be on top of the list.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, November 01, 2014 - 05:10 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you