Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Of Any Shops In Massachusetts That Rebuilds Starters And Generators?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Like the title says I'm looking for a place to have them rebuilt/repaired.  I'm in Templeton and there is no longer any place within a reasonable distance of me to get them fixed.  I used to go to United Auto Electric that later became Auto Electric in the Fitchburg area until they closed and then went to Cowans out in Greenfield.  I called them today because I have one that seized up and they answered the phone as CarQuest and when I asked for the machine shop I was informed that it closed on July 1.  I looked online and the closest I could find is somewhere in Worcester and I really don't want to have to go into that city to get it fixed.  Any other suggestions of where i could go?  Thanks in advance.         Stewart

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 01:08 PM

No suggestions but it is sad that we no longer fix enough stuff to support a shop.

• hamman, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Still good gen shop in Ft.Wayne, IN, but think they are more replacement now than before. Most good shops are all getting out of rebuild business as the items cost to much to repair, parts going away as not used in vehicles like in past, and many foreign brands are now the suppliers, even to GM and Ford and others now days.  My local machine shop closed too. Kid that took over got a better offer for $$ and went on.  Was best shop in area when other guy was there, now he is retired after 40 years of doing that stuff. Not sure Who is gonna step in, IF it even does. Pretty sure cars last too long now days, and they just throw away, buy new and not fix anymore.  WE on otherhand are either too dumb or too old school to modernize and get with the public's way. PLUS, with modern wages we are too poor to buy new also, and Have to fix what we got or can drag home.  Sure!  Sounded good for first moment! :bs:

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Don't they make repair kits for those yet? I thought they had them available. I was hoping to rebuild three of the 4 I currently have now. Our local shop has stopped doing it.  I would think that if a kit was available we could still do it.                                                                                     Roger.

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 05:32 PM

know of 2 (may still be 3, have not been up there in a while) not too far from me. One here in Kankakee IL, (they have my starter right now for my spare Kohler M12 engine for my Woods ZTR) 

There used to be 2 places in Chicago Heights, not very far from each other. The Heights is about 40 miles north/east of me. one of these shops I know is still in business  because they advertise down here in our paper, that they rebuild starters and alternators/generators for anything from cars/trucks to mowers farm equipment and more. That place is called Wickman Auto Electric, I know right where they are but dont remember the address.

The other is (or used to be) Acme Auto Electric, on Chicago Road (IL route 1) in South chicago Heights. DK if that place is still doing rebuilds, I have not been there in a while. I know the regular "mom and pop" auto parts store part of it is still going.

These places are about 4 blocks apart north/south and 2 blocks east/west from each other. They both used to be very good at what they did, when I Iived w/ my parents I used to give them both alot of business. Basically very competitive pricewise, so flip a coin there. Workmanship, same way.

Basically it sometimes came down to who had what I needed on the shelf and who wanted me to leave mine for them to rebuild and come back the next day, and how much I was in a hurry at any given time for what I needed, as to which place I'd buy from.....   At one time I was in both places often enough that they knew me by name, and all I would have to do was to walk in and they'd know what I was there for before I even asked for it. (this was in the 80s and early 90s, can't say whether I know anyone there now or not.)

Edited by dodge trucker, October 30, 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#6 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 07:00 PM

I was going to say, Beach generator in Revere.
But, if You think Worcester is too far?
Some shops will do shipping. So, you never have to go there.
But, it is nice to talk face to face with someone.

Joe

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 07:32 PM

My local shop does them.

I also sell new starter/gen units for $199.

Ben W.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yes, in Easthampton.

I have the parts shipped to me, I rebuild it myself.

• diesel nut said thank you

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 09:30 PM

I do not currently have any s/g equipped machines but I think that I still have a couple of them laying around. IDK what rotation or what they were off of...

#10 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 10:12 PM

I was going to say, Beach generator in Revere.
But, if You think Worcester is too far?
Some shops will do shipping. So, you never have to go there.
But, it is nice to talk face to face with someone.

Joe

It's not that Worcester is too far its the fact that every time I go into that city I have issues.  Either having bad directions or ending up going the wrong way down a one way street or police harassing me cause they think my truck is too loud.  I don't mind driving a ways to get there, it's just I don't like driving in large cities. I don't really want to ship this to anyone as the customer would like to have it back by Tuesday if possible.

Yes, in Easthampton.

I have the parts shipped to me, I rebuild it myself.

Fixing it myself wouldn't be a problem except I have no way to test the fields and windings or turn the armature if it needs it.  

Also this is a generator off of a Ford NAA that's still a 6 volt system.  Thanks for the replys.   Stewart

• Rock farmer said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 05:35 AM

I wonder if there are places that you could ship it to instead of driving hours to get there . ?   

Edited by Alc, October 31, 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 10:58 AM

ON ebay is fella called Trio-diode that has many odd ball kits and parts offered. Might check on there. He always had the odd peices for my old MM's when working on them. Good prices and quality parts. Would think a new unit thru one of those Ford Tractor catalogs wouldn't be that much really. N-complete is one and other is same guy that makes/sells Truck parts, can't think name now, duh! Google search for Ford places.  Even farm stores have lots for old Fords on shelves, not sure if they have a kit for that or not.