17 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,158 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Well, I was wrong again.  I checked with two farm tire service people that covers 75% of this entire area.  Neither had heard of Rim Guard and both still use Calcium Chloride but on a limited basis.  Usually only the older smaller tractor owners ask for it it.  They both charge an addition $75 service fee if you have a flat and the tire is wet.

I stopped at Wall Mart and picked up 13 gallons of RV antifreeze on sale for $3.47 a gallon.  6 gal. in each back tire filled it completely.  I tried to re-seat the tire to the rim with the valve core in.  Didn't work as could not get enough air in the initial shot to do it.  Had to remove the corr and then hit it with the blow gun.  Then the fun was to get the core in without loosing a lot of liquid.  Fun Fun.  Job is done and tires are back on the tractor.  Now to get the chains on as my drive is rock and a little up hill going out.  Also will be using it to blow a path to the barn which is down hill - but what goes down has to come back up.

Talking a 30% chance of snow Monday night.  I'm ready if it comes and would like to see some snow before it turns off real cold and freezes all the water line up.

#17 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 11:48 AM

maybe not in your state but calcium chloride is now consider a hazardous substance and I sure don't want it leaking anywhere near me or mine. Rim guard is the best that you can get because it will seal small leaks like a thorn  might make.

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,158 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 08:16 PM

maybe not in your state but calcium chloride is now consider a hazardous substance and I sure don't want it leaking anywhere near me or mine. Rim guard is the best that you can get because it will seal small leaks like a thorn  might make.

Yes, I know it is classified as hazardous substance, low level at that, and has to be handled accordingly.  That is why they pump it back out and don't just drain it.  Rim Guard may be OK but if it is not available in the area you live it is not feasible to use it.  When you pay for Rim Guard you pay twice.  Once for the weight and the second time for the sealing ability.  If I have a problem with one of my tires I can save most of the fluid to put back in again.  Can that be done with Rim Guard?  If you have to have special equipment to put it in you probably need special equipment to take it out also.   To each his own and what ever works, go for it.  Lets hope none of us has tire problems, especially this winter.   Fixing flats in the winter is no fun.  I do my own tire repair as it is $12 miles to town and $15 per tire if you bring it in.  $20 if they take it off and put it back on.  I work cheep and a patch is only about $.40. :thumbs: