• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:24 PM

I've got the new gasket in hand, and new (old) old pan, and I wondering what I do next?  I have never done this before.  I scraped the old gasket off the block with a razor blade, then buffed it out with a scotch bright pad and some gas.  Is there a special next step, paste, sealer, heat?  or do I just line it up and tighten evening?

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:42 PM

I would put a even coat of permatex on the pan and block just to make sure it will seal completely, then tighten randomly and torque to spec.   JM2CW. 

Roger.

• JDBrian said thank you

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Just make sure all is clean and line up the gasket and tighten no need for any thing else.

• hamman and superaben have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Providing the 2 surfaces are in good shape you shouldn't need to do anything other than install the gasket. For added insurance you could use the Permatex as said above. When I do it I put a thin layer on one side of the gasket, fit that to one side of the assembly then coat the other side and put it together. I am paranoid about any extra adhesive getting somewhere it shouldn't be. 

• hamman said thank you

#5 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 04:35 PM

Next question:  There are 2 items I removed which I'm curious if they require any special "clocking" or positioning when I reinstall.

- 1 The Drive Shaft- I removed it from both ends, seems it just slips over the trans spindle.

- 2 The Starter - the little gear in there floats around when I had it out.  I cleaned it carefully, didn't submerge it and used mostly air to remove the crud.

The dipstick tube seal seems primitive, a firm rubber sleeve, is that really it?

Lastly, what's with the little "ears" on the oil pan behind the threaded hole for the engine mount?  Since my motor was down to one bolt holding it in place (a front nut and bolt) before I started I never really saw the rear hardware?  What's the configuration back there?

Matt

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Driveshaft just bolts on no certain way. The starter same thing just make sure it works before putting it back on so you will not need to do this again. The dipstick seal is just a grommet as you see and the tabs on the pan are where the flywheel shroud bolts go to hold the shroud on.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 06:43 AM

I have been using permatex "Right Stuff"  A shop owner recommended it as they use it frequently instead of using gaskets as well to set gaskets .  I used it to seal up a stubborn intake manifold gasket.

Edited by Jazz, October 30, 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#8 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I just use permatex black on all intake manifold gaskets. Ive had those leak, and its a pain in the butt. You dont need anything on the oil pan gaskets I wouldn't think.