• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 03:25 AM

I picked up a great running MW today with a cast iron Briggs engine, it runs like a top, the trans and controls all work great.
The deck however may be too far gone. Every last pivot point is worn almost through, the deck pan itself is rusted through nearly everywhere with chunks of diamond plate and bed frame welded all over to hold it together.
Its sags from the hanging points right now, so much so that when lifted, the surrounding sheetmetal hits the top of the blades, there's a huge gash worn on the front upper portion where the blade has cut through the rusty metal.
The spindles all work, but are a bit noisey. This deck measures 51" measured from the farthest reach of each outer blade, so I'm thinking its supposed to be a 48" cut due to the angle of the deck.

Without any other attachments, its most likely going to end up as a motor donor for something else if I can't find a decent deck for this, right now I got the deck sort of fixed in place with a few cable ties so I could run it and test the deck. There's so much slop in the rods that lift the deck that the front of the deck barely moves off the ground, and I had to shorten up the chains to one link to get the back deck wheels to clear the ground. The deck pulleys aren't much better, the middle and left pulley have rust holes in them. The rest of the machine doesn't show the kind of wear the deck does though.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 04:18 AM

I am not familiar with the pto drive system on those Montgomery Wards tractors but if you can't find a replacement deck is there a possibility of using a deck from another brand of tractor? Even if you would have to fabricate new lifting points and do some other fabricating it may be worth it. Sounds like the tractor is in great shape.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:52 AM

Who made it for MW? You can probably find an entire deck for it. I come across Simplicity decks and Bolens decks at our swaps. Post some pics. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 07:42 AM

I would guess you have a Gilson built MW.  You are in the same boat I am in with one of mine, the deck looks to have been used to mow, snow plow, grade gravel, etc.  I have thought of adapting something else, but have not gotten around to it.  One word of caution on trying to use the engine in something else, you do not have a mountable oil pan on it.  Those Gilson machines have a custom pan that bolts to the frame from the side and incorporates the front axle pivot.