daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 02:29 PM

I haven't posted a thread in a while, but as I was shelling popcorn today, I thought it may interest someone. We planted traditional popcorn this past season, at my request. We normally try a neat variety, just to try, but this year I wanted to do plain jane good popcorn. So we did. I harvested towards early November and brought the corn to my house to dry in the basement for a few months.20110220_IMG_0175.jpg

It's about time, so I took down some this afternoon and shelled it in the Never Fail dad got off ebay a few years ago.

20110220_IMG_0170.jpg

Now that it was shelled, I just had to try it.

20110220_IMG_0173.jpg

Mmmmm Boy was it a good afternoon snack.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20110220_IMG_0171.jpg
  • 20110220_IMG_0174.jpg
  • 20110220_IMG_0172.jpg

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 02:39 PM

That's cool! I have never grown popcorn..... wondered how it was done. Thanks!

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 03:43 PM

So....popcorn is not made from regular corn?

Always wondered about that....tell us more. What does that little machine do?....Excuse my ignorance, I know nothing.....lol

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the pictures!! I bet it tasted good

To answer your question poncho, there are corn seeds you grow specifically for popcorn kernels

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:13 PM

...What does that little machine do?....Excuse my ignorance, I know nothing.....lol

The little machine is called a "corn sheller". It's designed to remove the kernels from a cob of dried corn. The sheller will work on ant variety of corn that has been dried in preparation for feeding livestock, grinding into meal, or even for popping LOL!

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hmmm,you learn something all the time.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:16 PM

Poncho
There are several varieties of popcorn, the same as there are several varieties of sweet corn and field corn. With the popcorn, you leave it to dry on the stalk, like field corn, then you hang it to dry individually. I didn't harvest the whole field of popcorn, but I did take several hundred ears in the Fall.

The Never Fail machine has nubs on a round wheel that you turn by the hand crank. I think you can see it in the photos. You take just the corn on the cob, now very dry, and put one ear at a time in the machine and crank. The dry kernels come off the cob. I made the box that collects the popcorn. My dad's neighbor and friend has the same set up and his son built him a similar box.

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 11:51 AM

Very nice!! Home grown popcorn!! Love the sheller too!! Corn shellers make great displays at engine/tractor shows, Kids of ALL ages get a kick out of watching or trying their hand at shelling corn.
Then if you have a small burr mill too, either hand cranked or engine powered, they get to see it go from the ear to cracked corn for chicken feed or ground down to corn meal.
P.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Several years my parents have had a corn shelling/mill setup at our show. It's amazing how it's fun when you're not expected to do it as part of your chores. Before that they used to bring their hand crank rope maker & let kids make their own jump ropes. I'll have to look around and see if they have any pics of that being used. Neat old piece. We used one rope to pull start a tractor at the show with a dead battery.

#10 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:13 PM

It has been almost 5 or 6 years since my wife and I drove to Mt. Rushmore. On the way out we stopped at the Corn Palace in Mitchell,SD. One of the gift shops nearby had popcorn still on the cob for sale. The directions said to place the whole cob (which was inside a paper bag ) in the microwave. Thinking it would be interesting for the grandkids, we bought one for each. I do remember they really got a thrill out of hearing it pop and then eating the popcorn. Has anybody else tried to pop corn while still on the ear ?

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Grand, that sounds cool. How long did you put it in for? I'll try it.

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Several years my parents have had a corn shelling/mill setup at our show. It's amazing how it's fun when you're not expected to do it as part of your chores. Before that they used to bring their hand crank rope maker & let kids make their own jump ropes. I'll have to look around and see if they have any pics of that being used. Neat old piece. We used one rope to pull start a tractor at the show with a dead battery.

The rope maker sure sounds like a great way to get the kids involved, especially knowing they are helping to make something they can play with.I hope you are able to find some pictures. Even the corn shellers are something the kids like seeing. People nowadays just don't realize where their food comes from. ( I know.It comes from the grocery store.)

#13 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:27 PM

Grand, that sounds cool. How long did you put it in for? I'll try it.

Sorry it took so long to get back but I am a very slow typist. My wife and I can't remember the time that came with the corn, so you will have to try and adjust your time by trial and error. I do remember that I even thought how neat is was that we were actually able to pop the corn that was still on the cob. Please let us know how your experiment works. Knowing how things used to work I figured the corn had to be off the cob. With microwaves things have changed and somebody must have gotten adventurous. Just be careful please.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:40 PM

grand
That was really cool. It had never occurred to me to do that. Thanks

Here are the results. I put a cob in a big paper grocery sack and put it in for two minutes on full power. I stopped it at ten seconds left.

IMG_2515.jpg

Tastes GREAT!! Thanks

#15 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm glad to know that it turned out OK. Eat and enjoy. I can almost smell the popcorn here.