#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 04:25 PM

done for this year. We cleared all the corn stalks from the garden after the harvest. I took the Homelite with the tiller and tilled it up to turn everything under. DSCF4129.JPG DSCF4148.JPG

After all the rain stopped I could get the sweeper out and sweep up all the oak and maple leaves and get them on the garden to till under for the winter.

This ground up until 10 years ago was the home of a school plantation of 1954 of jack pines. We took them out and tilled the whole 300' X 250' lot. We then limed and raked and seeded it. In the last 6 years we have had a garden in this spot. Each year we make it a bit bigger to what it is now. We actually opened it up another 12 feet this fall. One of the reasons we wanted to get some leaves on it to till under this fall.

Today I asked my neighbor to bring his Kabota with 4' tiller over to make short work of this tilling. He was more than happy to do so. He told me that he only uses the tiller on my garden so it's good practice. It took us longer to hook it up than it did to till the garden. Took a few pics of him and his toy tilling.DSCF8251.JPG DSCF8253.JPG

All done with outside work for this fall so now it's time for inside work and making a couple things for the sleeve hitch on the Homelite.

Roger.

• Alc, tinbender7, CRFarnsworth and 7 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 04:31 PM

I just got a call today about tilling a garden this weekend, Do a few a year for others. looks good!!

• hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Just did mine last weekend I fish the winter months here in NJ and there carcasses fertilize my garden for spring
  • hamman said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Great looking garden, Roger! That 'Bota does a good job!

• hamman said thank you

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:50 AM

thank you for the pics, Roger - great job, well done!

• hamman said thank you

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for posting, nice tractor looks like a Simplicity tiller...?  Does the kabota do a better job or just faster?

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 10:08 AM

The Kabota is faster and it fluffs the ground better. I asked him to till it with that because I had about 2" of leaves all over the garden. His tiller would till those under a lot more efficient than mine. Yes it is a Simplicity tiller. I bought it a few years ago, complete with mule drive for $125.00 I have used it a lot and it works flawlessly. It was almost new when I got it. Next spring when I open the garden I will put some cow manure on it and use the Homelite to till it in.               Thanks.              Roger.

• KennyP and Oldford have said thanks

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Nice to see that ol girl in the dirt Roger! Wish I had a white tiller (or a blue one).

I use a 50" tiller now in the bigger gardens and while its great, the ol simplicity 36" gives fantastic results. Its a great design, that has lasted decades.
  • hamman said thank you