• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,569 Thanks
  • 2,849 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:28 AM

I've been searching for some PTO belts for my MTD 990. I need matching sets. I did read that the blue belts are an entry level belt & are priced much lower than the others. What belts are you folks using, I don't want cheap because of the amount of trouble replacing these. Thanks.

#2 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 81 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 10:21 AM

I just use the blue belts from tractor supply.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,890 Thanks
  • 17,288 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 06:31 PM

I stock USA made replacements that are the best in the industry IMO

Been using these on my stuff for years and they are showing no wear or cracking as of yet. They are mathced pairs as well.

The red ones on ebay are probably mine for the 990, Let me know if your interested

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,804 Thanks
  • 6,595 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Colors??  Green was Kevlar or so thought and was only color I've heard of.  They seem pretty tough. I was told no longer needed Matching sets as modern methods of making them has them ALL the  same size!  What think?  Matching is Old School way?  Heck, for the power this rig puts out, you will never know any problems and would think the two belts would "wear-in" and get comfy, no matter if not exactly the same. YOU won't ever know the difference I bet.

• Bruce Dorsi and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,349 Thanks
  • 2,203 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I was told no longer needed Matching sets as modern methods of making them has them ALL the  same size!  What think?  Matching is Old School way?  Heck, for the power this rig puts out, you will never know any problems and would think the two belts would "wear-in" and get comfy, no matter if not exactly the same. YOU won't ever know the difference I bet.

I totally agree with these remarks!

Theoretically, matched belts are advisable, but on these tractors 1/8" + or - is not going to present a problem. 

Most belts stretch slightly after running a short while.  ....The shorter belt will stretch first to match the length of the longer belt.  ....After that, they will reach equal power transmission.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,890 Thanks
  • 17,288 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 04:12 AM

Most dealers and company's still recommend matched pairs on their equipment though.

Kevlar belts will not stretch that much so matched sets are required.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,380 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:59 AM

I've been searching for some PTO belts for my MTD 990. I need matching sets. I did read that the blue belts are an entry level belt & are priced much lower than the others. What belts are you folks using, I don't want cheap because of the amount of trouble replacing these. Thanks.

The blue ones (pix) where the first ones that became available up here. I've been using them for years now.

So much better than plain old black rubber. The red ones showed up last winter, and there was no price

difference. I haven't had one in operation long enough to say that they are better than the blue, but they do

look like a better quality manufacture. The Kevlar mat'l looks thicker, and not worn from manufacturing. I haven't seen any

green ones yet, and can't shed any light on the "matching" issue, other than as said, it makes sense that they'll even out, and

on these GTs, it can't be all that critical.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 7,343 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 11:30 PM

I had two rubber belts paired on the toro, the one was original from 3v from 1966 and the other was a replaced 4v from some other time, a shade longer to fit, but neither slipped lol. Me, I'm all about matching rubber sets.
  • Sawdust said thank you