112 replies to this topic

#106 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Looks pretty slick Mike.

I would color paint them as well. I did that on our 4430 and 4630 since I always got them hooked up backwards.

The tractors we had when I was growing up had them painted so that one set was the same color. Like one pair was red and one was blue, did you do it another way?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#107 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:57 PM

The tractors we had when I was growing up had them painted so that one set was the same color. Like one pair was red and one was blue, did you do it another way?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

I did one set green, one set yellow and another red
  • michael.kitko said thank you

#108 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Well, I have been fighting this engine for the past week. I had to order a new flywheel nut after inspecting mine and noticing that yes it was ruined when I pulled it. Well, the new nut showed up and guess what, it also had a ruined thread. The first thread was rolled over on the first. Well, that took a day to fix after firing up the lathe to get rid of the first thread. I also had to fix the keyway on the shaft because the shaft had some burs that were preventing it from seating. I wish I would have noticed it when I first had the crank in my hands. Anyways, hand cut that and finally I thought I was home safe. Nope, the stupid starter also decided to screw up. After a bunch of research on how that starter was put together, plus asking on another forum, I decided to soak it for a night and see if it would move. Yep, it moved one way and then got stuck. So, I pulled all the spring clips and guess what, the area where the drive screws out is toast. It had pieces of asphalt in it and one of the springs was missing. Anyways, I ordered another and it should be here by Tuesday. Now, my current issue. I cannot find the throttle linkage that goes from the carb to the governor. I know I had it when I started, but now I seem to have misplaced it or I threw it out because it was ruined. Does anyone have any idea what thread that is on that engine carb? I honestly can't seem to find a screw that fits it. I am also having to upgrade cables to control the engine, because the Deere ones don't quite reach. I will be making some new bushing to mount the new cables in the engine.

Now, moving on to the hydraulics. I pulled the old steering column and was surprised to find that the old style steering wheel fits the new column. So, that was a win. I was worried I would have to buy a 318 steering wheel. I am having trouble figuring out where I want to mount the rear hydraulic block. I also have not figured out how to control them from the front seat. I am thinking a control cable, but I have no idea if a cheap throttle cable will work. I did order a driveshaft from a 318 to modify for use as my pivot joint. I do not know what to use as a slip joint yet. Well, I think I have rambled enough.

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#109 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Well, after two days of fighting this engine, I finally got it to fire and run. I did rebuild the starter and did run into issues with what I thought was it being grounded. Well, after charging the battery, I think these starters just take loads of current to get the engine rolling. I also had to fight the carb thinking that the rebuild on the carb was done incorrectly. Well, I got some advice on Smokstak that told me to just cover the inlet and crank it for a few turns. Shortly after cranking it for a bit, I decided to give it another whirl and low and behold, she fired right up after a few turns. I don't know why, but she sounds a little more crisp than some of the other videos I have watched. Does it sound good to you guys? I can't remember what these are supposed to sound like given the fact that I haven't heard one in years. I did look them up on youtube and they all sound more throaty than mine. Anyways, opinions would be appreciated. I have not broken it in yet and will be doing that when I get the hydraulics hooked up. Now on to more fun with the driveshaft.

Here is the video of the third startup:

https://www.youtube....h?v=z-qV3sRG9ug

• olcowhand said thank you

#110 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Been a bit. I haven't had much time recently, but I have gotten a little movement. I removed the pancake muffler and I put an upright on. Also, I cut the driveshaft and tacked it back together at 9" from pivot to pivot. With the driveshaft the right length, I started cutting out the driveshaft ways, which allow free movement of the driveshaft. I have run into a new issue. As you know, I am using a 318 style driveshaft. That driveshaft has a flanged end and a splined end. Other than spending a $100 dollars on an actual pump shaft, does anyone know where I can get a splined end in that size?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • olcowhand said thank you

#111 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:27 PM

That muffler won't give much of a throaty sound, but to me she sounds just fine.

#112 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:55 PM

That muffler won't give much of a throaty sound, but to me she sounds just fine.

The muffler got changed out today...I found one in my pile of parts. It was one of those standard tractor ones that you can pick up almost anywhere. Do you think that might make it throaty sounding?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#113 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 06:05 PM

The muffler got changed out today...I found one in my pile of parts. It was one of those standard tractor ones that you can pick up almost anywhere. Do you think that might make it throaty sounding?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

It will surely help!

• michael.kitko said thank you