• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Alright, a few questions here and maybe some help brain-storming on a future project that I have been contemplating for a good bit. I have been thinking about this for awhile. I really would like to build a small garden tractor version of the John Deere Quad Track and/or similar to the Case Quad Track. I know there are a few of you who have an articulated garden tractor, but I don't honestly believe anyone has one of these, so it would be incredibly unique. One problem, this isn‘t gonna be an anytime soon project. It will definitely be a within the next two years start project. Anyways, moving on. Some questions:

Does anyone have a good picture of the Quad Track setup and how it is attached to the frame/axle of the Case?

I am honestly thinking of cladding the frame, which I will custom build, in a John Deere 140 skin. Mainly, just the hood and dash area will be the same. Now the question, what width track would you guys use? Also, what idler wheel spread would you use? It would help if anyone would have the dimensions from a Case I could use, then I could make it more to scale. Do you think it would be worth asking John Deere what dimensions they have on their Prototype Quad Track?

I am sure there are quite a few questions I have, but I will have to post those I come to them.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,728 Thanks
  • 8,910 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:45 PM

JD had a construction only (yellow) quad ten years ago. I will ask the guys that work for the outfit that had two of them if they saved any pics. You could face backwards and copy the JD HSD.

image.jpg

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:11 AM

i think i would start with a custom frame and put the 140 body work on it because making the 140 4 wheel drive is going to take some effort

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 08:57 AM

JD also has a "Walking tractor"pretty cool looking.

#5 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:18 AM

I started thinking of building a custom frame and it seems like the better option. At least that is what I think they did to one of the articulated wheel ones I saw. It is what appears to be a 420 dropped on a custom frame. On a side note, I am a bit lost when I started thinking of the drivetrain. Hydraulic would be the best bet, but really expensive. Any ideas? Also, remember, I would like to use it to pull a plow at a Plow Days or to push snow and dirt, so it has to be a bit strong.

Sent from my CAT B15 smartphone.

Edited by michael.kitko, October 28, 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#6 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:23 AM

uploadfromtaptalk1414506179344.jpg

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,728 Thanks
  • 8,910 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:42 AM

The use of a Steiner or Ventrac unit would be a good start.

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:52 AM

I think Hydro is the ONLY way to go on a project like this..couple of old Jacobsen greens kings would have most of the parts you would need,and they can be found pretty cheap.

#9 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:54 AM

This guy built a nice set of tracks

• michael.kitko said thank you

#10 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:57 AM

I probably have everything here to build something like that(even a sheet of 3x20 foot steel belted conveyer belt)

#11 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:59 AM

If you could get a set of the ATV tracks that just bolt onto the lugs it could really simplify it but the issue there is obviously spending thousands more on tracks just for something to play around with. I would say to use common track maybe base the width of the track frames to fit something like a little Artic Cat Kitty Kat or other child snowmobile track or maybe build it to use the tracks off of something like the power wheelbarrow or dump carts with the rubber tracks. If you are wondering what width based on scale I would say go for about the same width as the rear tires of the tractor as I think the quadtrack tracks are similar footprint to a large tractor tire. Just some thoughts on how I might go about it. Hope you can pull it off; it would be an awesome creation.

• Auburn David said thank you

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 10:57 AM

A definite must do on finding a track kit from an ATV. That would simplify your build immensely. Then you could use a pair of,say peerless 2500 hydro's and a 35hp diesel to drive this rig around. The hydro'scan provide you with 2 seperate hydraulic circiuts as well. Say one for steering and one for accessories. The only thing that would be needed is a transfer case to run the hydro drive shafts so one turns clockwise and the othe counter-clockwise.

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 11:18 AM

A definite must do on finding a track kit from an ATV. That would simplify your build immensely. Then you could use a pair of,say peerless 2500 hydro's and a 35hp diesel to drive this rig around. The hydro'scan provide you with 2 seperate hydraulic circiuts as well. Say one for steering and one for accessories. The only thing that would be needed is a transfer case to run the hydro drive shafts so one turns clockwise and the othe counter-clockwise.

The one on the Jacobsen pump I have has 5 circuits as I remember

#14 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 01:15 PM

I don't know where you found those tracks, but that is just a really good way he did that. Well done.

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 01:27 PM

I don't know where you found those tracks, but that is just a really good way he did that. Well done.

Lots of Youtubes for home built/made tracks.

• michael.kitko said thank you