Looking For A Kohler

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 efedak OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57049
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 06:31 PM

just started tearing down power king that I just picked up. pulled the head off and the cylinder looks real bad. does any one have a line on an engine that runs or is rebuDSCF0051.JPG DSCF0050.JPG ild able.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,439 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 06:42 PM

That'll buff out, or more correctly, hone out.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, October 27, 2014 - 06:42 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 06:59 PM

That'll buff out, or more correctly, hone out.

I would think so as well..

#4 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:11 PM

I would think what you have is rebuildable if everything else checks out. Bore/piston dimensions and conditions.

Also rod and crank dimensions and condition. A Kohler K series engine manual is downloadable free from Kohler.

I would ask around your location for a good small engine machinist and if your are not comfortable with you doing the

work take it to a reputable shop.

Good luck.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:17 PM

That's not the end of the world.  Kohlers have been rebuilt looking 100 times worse than that!  They are hearty old engines and can take a licking. 

You might have to go up to .030 over to dig out all the scratches, but all the parts you need are still available.  I sell Kohler rebuild kits, also. 

Ben W.

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,863 Thanks
  • 3,107 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:20 PM

I agree. Should hone out or could be bored. Don't give up on it until you get it checked. Motors are getting hard to find. If you get one it may need the same work as the one you have. Noel

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,394 Thanks
  • 1,854 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 09:15 PM

most small engine shops these days do not do that kind of work, or when they do they dismantle the engine and take the block and crank to an automotive machine shop for evaluation. Skip the middleman. Dismantle it yourself (you can leave the valves in the block, they'd need to grind them too anyway)  and take it in, give them the model number (all they would need to look up bore size, crankpin specs, and valve specs would be the basic model series like K 301, K341 etc.   from there they can measure everything and tell you what oversizes etc would be needed to clean it up.  Not only those scratches but you also gotta consider taper and out of round, there are tolerances for those aspects too that must be considered if you want your rebuild to last as long as the engine did originally (so far)  If you just hone it and stick new rings in an engine  without looking at those factors it may well be more underpowered and use more oil than it did before it was taken apart.

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 06:56 AM

What model Kohler is this? 

#9 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 07:54 AM

the last time I checked at a mower shop for a rebuild on a big kohler twin, it was gonna be close to $2200. that was with about 16 hours at $75 an hour for labor, with bearings and was missing a few tins. I didnt check on just bore ,rings and pistons. Mower shops dont like to rebuild engines because they have to fix it when they blow up the first time you try to start it and they only get payed for 8 hrs a day compared to 12 to 16 for "book time"

I have done a few single cylinder atv engines lately. $50 for bore, $100 for rings and piston, $50 for top end gasket set. If you shop around for the cheapest price on the net, dont forget to add in shipping from 3 different sources ( that usually changes the end price)

#10 efedak OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57049
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 12:05 PM

this is a 301 i'm pretty sure. I measured the bore with a tape measure to be 3.5. not sure if I have the right shroud. might have to wait till I get the engine out. plenty of shops around here that will bore it but to me it looks bad.  will get to work on it this weekend will keep everyone posted. and thanx to everyone foe the help.

• Auburn David said thank you

#11 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 01:20 PM

The K301 has a 3 3/8 bore and the valves are both the same size.The K321 has a 3 1/2 bore and the intake valve is larger than the exhaust valve.There is also a casting on the block under the clutch flywheel but I have heard some say that the casting number is not always accurate.

• Cvans and efedak have said thanks