Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Going To Look At A Jd 430, Anything Problem Areas To Look For?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 york0060 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 03:18 PM

i think it is a 82 or 83 , he said it had a small oil leak, and about 1900 hrs. Is there any problem areas or things to look for on these? thanks

Edited by york0060, October 27, 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 03:32 PM

1900 hours isn't much hours for a diesel.  The main thing is the engine itself.  Should start easily in warm weather.  Shouldn't have exhaust smoke at idle, and no blue smoke anytime.  On throttling up, black smoke is correct.  They sometimes develop crack in the frame where the diff axles bolt up, but thi is an afternoon repair & not anything to stop a purchase, but would be a price negotiator.

If the oil leak is at the crank seal on the hydro end, it requires pulling the engine to replace the seal.  Another price negotiator.

Myself, I don't know of anything particular to watch for on these.  Pretty solid machines.

• york0060 and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Just for reference. On my 523Dxi, the Daihatsu 3-cylinder diesel requires the valves to be adjusted and head re-torqued at 600/1200/1800 hours. The same for the antifreeze. There still is maintenance on the little diesels even though there aren't any "plugs or wires." Hopefully the PO has kept up everything required.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:20 PM

You'd probably want to inspect the driveshaft to see if it's sound. They can be pricey to replace Have a look at the general condition of the front end. Tie rod ends, wheel bearings, axle bushings etc. With 1800hrs those are probably ready for replacement. Easy items to replace but pricey when you add it all up. Another negotiator as Daniel put it.