• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Season ended WAY too soon!  I removed all the 6' fencing and poles around the garden, cleaned the area up and started getting ready for next year.  I doubled the length from 30 ft to 60 ft, width from 20 to 40 foot.  40 X 60 will be plenty for me to work next year.  Mowed the yard (3 acres) with bagger on, picked up mostly leaves with little grass.  Dumped all the bags on the old garden area.  I was going to turn over the new area with my Troy Built tiller, but, as with old equipment, a cable broke.  I'm a ways from town so it may not get done now before freeze-up.  I wanted to till under the old grass/leaves for a good start on next spring, oh-well.

In one corner of the new garden, I'm going to build a portable coup and fence in a 20 X 30 area for chickens to roam in.  I plan on hatching out my replacement flock late winter, the old flock is stating to slow way down on laying, so, time for some crock pot donors.  Anyways, I plan to put the coup in a different corner each season so 25% of the garden gets turned/fertilized by feathered manure factories.  Throw in a bag every week or so of summer grass clippings, what they don't eat gets churned in with fresh fertilizer, win-win.  Eggs and roasters as a bonus.

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Sounds like an excellant plan. I just wonder if you might want to go even bigger. I'm hoping to go to 50 x 120 with 1/3 in a legume. Good Luck, Rick

• oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:31 PM

Sounds like an excellant plan. I just wonder if you might want to go even bigger. I'm hoping to go to 50 x 120 with 1/3 in a legume. Good Luck, Rick

I thought about it, but I think it would be too much for me to handle.  I have the room, or had, I filled a good portion of my small field with fruit trees.  The area I chose for the garden is a spot that has sunlight all day, most the rest of the field has trees of one sort or another that cast large shadows.  This garden will have large posts drove into the ground for the 6 foot fence the field rats force me to install.  It's funny, the state of ND says the deer have declined dangerously so they have dropped the yearly hunting tags big time.  The darn game and fish should spend a few days in my area, they would see their error in thinking.  The biggest factor in size is me.  I am not getting younger, am stove up pretty good and have a hard time doing the labor required to tend a garden, but I will do it as long as I can stand up.  I do have another *smallish* garden plot, not sure if I will continue to use it.  I have Ruebarb, horseradish, tomatoes and strawberries there.  The rats leave those alone so they don't need fenced in, except the s/berries.  They all have cages built over those rows.  Believe me, if I had the health, I would turn under/garden the 5 acres I have.  I have been offered all the land I want to do a truck garden, even offered the equipment to use, but I just don't have the health any more.  I offered to help a bud this year, driving farm equipment for this harvest going on.  Even though all are modern tractors with Cadillac comforts, I go home hurting pretty bad every night.  Going bigger on gardening, as much as I would dearly love to, is just not possible.  I guess that is a long-winded answer to your question, yes, I would love to go bigger.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 06:31 AM

I am sorry that you have health problems. I am retired and found that after 8 months I woke up one morning without being in pain. It was the first time in decades. If I over do I will pay for it for days but if I take it easy, I'm good. I am addicted to plane old aspirin, it helps alot. I hope that you have several good tractors to make the work easier.

In CT we are allowed 6 deer hunting permitts if they are doing damage to crops. The season is even longer for pest control too. The state has finally admitted(after 30 years of lying) that we have pumas in our woods. They don't seem to be making a dent in the herds. Good Luck, Rick

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks