GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:41 PM

My youngest son Chris (29) has worked on gas and oil rigs for the past eight years or so and is now working in the Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York/West Virgina region.  The rig he works on "exploded" late on Friday injuring one of the rig hands.  Luckily Chris was working the day shift and the explosion happened on the night shift.  The guy that was injured was badly burned and was in critical condition as of yesterday.  Chris drove home yesterday morning and then left a couple of hours ago to help move the rig to West Virginia and go back to work.

The possibility of injury or worse is something that he and the family are well aware of but with the economy still tanked in this part of the country he, along with many other guys and gals, have to either bet against the odds or join the welfare crowd.

http://www.wtov9.com...rson-6157.shtml

Edited by GTTinkerer, October 26, 2014 - 05:43 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 06:12 PM

I hope that isnt a common occurrence on rigs,I was with the Fire Dept for many years and somehow avoided propane tank explosions 2 times..one of my comrades wasn't as lucky..the real pisser was later we found out the fire was set for insurance..took my friends life.Economy is pretty good here for some reason,we never saw the hardships others have..odd I know.

• hamman, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Glad to hear your son is ok. Sad for his co-worker. I worked in Wyoming in the 80s oil and gas boom. I went on many explosions and fires on rigs back then. Some have no idea what could possibly happen while working on a rig.   Hope he stays safe.                                                                              Roger.

• tinbender7, Coventry Plumber and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:22 PM

That happened about 20 miles from my house.

Glad he is ok. Those gas well jobs pay well just like the mining industry. Not the safest of professions but they pay and have good benefits.
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Good to hear he missed it, regards out to the ones injured.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Bill,
Glad to hear our son avoided this, sorry to hear it happened at all.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:05 PM

I don't think we think about the danger guys are in behind us when we fill up our trucks. 

Glad to hear your son was safe.  Our prayers go out to the coworker's family.

Ben W.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Glad your son is safe.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Sorry to hear about that fellow being injured but I'm glad no members of your family were involved. Be nice if they can determine the cause of the explosion and hopefully prevent it from happening again. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 12:33 AM

The "patch" has always been a dangerous place to work, regardless of the safety measures taken, but statistically speaking, it's probably no worse than smoking or doing drugs, and people do that voluntarily too. I'm just glad your son wasn't hurt, and I feel for the family of the man killed.

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Chris called this morning and said that when he got to the rig this morning his boss told him that the investigation into the cause of the explosion had just began and one of the investigators told him that if anyone in the crew touched anything at the site they would be arrested for interfering in an investigation.  So he is waiting to see what is going on and maybe sent the 500 or so miles back to Michigan until the investigation is complete.  At least they will pay him mileage and for the time he spent driving back and forth.

After working at sites where someone was seriously injured/killed on the job I figured that any investigation would be on hold over the weekend and would take more than 48 hours to get wrapped up.

He still doesn't know anything more about how the injured worker is doing.

• HDWildBill and Auburn David have said thanks

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Bill, I'm glad to hear your son is OK.  When our son went over to Iraqi and the Afghanistan it was difficult not to worry about him each day but you have to trust in their skills and pray that they will be OK.  The good thing is that as OldeDeeres said that oil and gas rig accidents are not a common occurrence.  At least now you can spend some time together until the investigation is over.  I hope the worker who got hurt recovers from his injuries.

• GTTinkerer and Auburn David have said thanks

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:08 PM

My son talked the site manager into staying at the maintenance shop in Ohio until next Monday when his week off starts (four weeks on one week off) or the investigators release the rig and they can move it to West Virginia.  So all is good with him.

His girlfriend is still pretty concerned about the explosion since apparently she was unaware of the dangers connected with working on oil drilling and rigs.  She and I talked about it today and she knows that accidents do happen but it is still much safer than other jobs.

• Bill56 said thank you

#14 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 03:25 AM

Glad your son is alright. Injuries are never easy on anyone, just pray his co-worker pulls through and returns to good health. I live in Ok and pull a 2 week hitch in west Texas as a mud engineer living on the rig for all 14 days. I did the same job from 1978-1984 western ok. I can say that the oil field is by far safer today than it was 30 years ago. The operators have safety rules and the drilling co have their safety rules and we have safety meetings twice a day. The rig hands are provided PPE and they wear it not because it is required but because they want to go home when their hitch is over. Pre job safety meetings are held with all 3rd partyvendors so all involved will know what accidents are possible and anyone at anytime can stop the job if he sees or thinks he sees something is not right. The oil and gas operators of 30 years ago put making fast hole as their top priority because the average daily cost is 100,000. to 150,000 and I have seen it exceed 1,000.000 when everything that can go wrong has. A lot of good young men were killed or seriously injured because of the operators hurry hurry hurry attitude. Now all the operators I work for push safety first and if you don't play by their rules you don't come on location. The oil field is really a very small world and when someone gets hurt or worse everyone in the business has heard about it in just a few hours. I've seen one accident on my rig for the first time since I got back in oilfield 8 years ago when one of the hands got his finger smashed and required 14 stiches. I just think about all the lives that have been saved and all the injuries that were avoided and all the families that are still families because of the safety rules we live by. Sorry I rambled on. Willie
  • Bill56, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#15 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 06:21 PM

My son received a text message from the big boss at the drill site saying the the injured worker, Tom, had another surgery yesterday and if all goes OK he will be coming back to his home in Michigan in about two weeks.  Many reconstructive surgeries still to come though.  Tom wanted to pass along to the other workers that they really need to be aware of what is going on at the drilling sites because you never know when something can go wrong.

• Bill56 and KennyP have said thanks