• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Today was the last time I will mow the Williamsburg property this year, Ashfield is next week end then time to mount the snow thrower, weights and chains.

As Eric stated '' i'd rather be mowing''

P.S. Im back.

Welcome Back! I don't want to think about snow yet! I have to do some work on my walk behind. Last year it was hard to start when cold. I bought a new battery for it yesterday. It's a HD Ariens with 12v battery start. I need to take the carb off and clean it. 

The big tractor is easy. About 1/2hr to take off the loader and put on the front blade and it's ready.

• trowel said thank you

#17 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Got my winter machines all ready to go.The MF GC 2300 with the Ariens 48" front mount blower and this year my backup tractor is still being worked on [or the snowblower anyway] MF 175 with a freebe 80" rear mount blower,still have a cahin tightener to buy and install as well try and figure out someway to stop the gear box input seal from leaking. The input shaft is splined and I think something has been changed because there's noway a seal will seal up on a splined shaft. Think I'll have to slicone some sort of collar over the shaft were the seal sits ?? I'll take a look at it this week. Sometimes a freebe  thing takes a lot of work to get it going.LOL

#18 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Oh no is it that time again?!

Amen brother!  I wish it was just a bad dream!

P.S. Im back.

:thumbs: :thumbs:  I'm glad to hear that!  Besides, I was looking forward to having someone else standing up for ol' Clinton!

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:14 PM

:thumbs: :thumbs:  I'm glad to hear that!  Besides, I was looking forward to having someone else standing up for ol' Clinton!

Ben W.

Werever i may roam, were i lay my head is home, but my heart remains the same :D .

Edited by trowel, October 26, 2014 - 08:15 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#20 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Got my winter machines all ready to go.The MF GC 2300 with the Ariens 48" front mount blower and this year my backup tractor is still being worked on [or the snowblower anyway] MF 175 with a freebe 80" rear mount blower,still have a cahin tightener to buy and install as well try and figure out someway to stop the gear box input seal from leaking. The input shaft is splined and I think something has been changed because there's noway a seal will seal up on a splined shaft. Think I'll have to slicone some sort of collar over the shaft were the seal sits ?? I'll take a look at it this week. Sometimes a freebe  thing takes a lot of work to get it going.LOL

National seals has a "ready sleeve" that is only a few thousandths of an inch thick that is designed to slide over worn shafts to provide a smooth surface for the seal to ride on.  They are fairly expensive but it may be something that would work for your application.

#21 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Farmer's Almanac has been calling for a harsher winter than last years. I think I would rather be back in El Paso, TX than to take on another winter like last years. :wallbanging:

I hope they are dead wrong.  Not sure I could handle another winter like last year.  In our area alone there were 18 septic systems that froze up, that I heard of by way of the plumber.  Ours was one of them.  System had been in for 13 years.  Real short on moisture, no snow cover and bitter cold temp froze up a lot of things.  We used the old 2 hole out house for over a month.  Washed up in the big sink in the basement as it drained into a sump and pumped out that way.  With a ton of wood pallets in the basement and 80 bushels of shelled corn in the garage to feed the multi fuel stove in the basement and this load of wood for the fireplace in the living room we should be OK. Wood-1.JPG

• trowel and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Regardless, the trees at the orchard tell a story.

I would rather put my trust in nature, they know what's coming.

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#23 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Regardless, the trees at the orchard tell a story.

I would rather put my trust in nature, they know what's coming.

What are they saying, trowel?

• trowel and chieffan have said thanks

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 08:12 AM

The caterpillars (woolly worms)  are not real dark and are not all going from North to South.  Squirrels are not carrying their stash up in the trees but burying the nuts in the ground.  Our Pigmy goats are not growing a lot of fine body hair for warmth.  All signs of a milder winter.  Boy I hope I am right.

• trowel said thank you

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 08:17 AM

I would clean that spline shaft up good and fill it in with JB Quick.  The you can file is down smooth and round.  Should hold a long time but the spline will have to be CLEAN.  I would use laquor thinner.  Good luck.

chieffan

#26 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:40 PM

The spilned shaft is 1 1/4" so I had a steel bushing that fit snug over it,I cut it to the length that I needed and put silicone on the splines and slid the piece of bushing over top.  That was a easy fix ,the hard part is finding a seal. Seems like no one was interested in taking a look in some of there seal box's to try and help me out.At least not today anyway. The parts people all wanted a number or make of machine. The seal that I'll need has to fit over the 1 1/2" sleeve plus fit into the housing which is 3 1/8"  [3.15"] on my digital calipers. I'll have to go into the big city to see if I can fine a seal as the people I was trying to deal with today didn't seem to want to be bothered trying to help me out. Gotta love some of the parts places ,LOL

• Auburn David and chieffan have said thanks

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 06:12 PM

The caterpillars (woolly worms)  are not real dark and are not all going from North to South.  Squirrels are not carrying their stash up in the trees but burying the nuts in the ground.  Our Pigmy goats are not growing a lot of fine body hair for warmth.  All signs of a milder winter.  Boy I hope I am right.

Welcome to the fourm, same here with the animals, I hope your right too.

What are they saying, trowel?

Mixed winter, mostly very cold but nothing like last winter, fair amount of snow, at least for New England it seems.

Regardless, mother nature as of late, been a bit wacky.

Edit : I read you are entrapped by an orchard, one helpful hint, fruit trees are more hardy then most trees, sugar maple that is ritually harvested is the same in many ways, in order to survive the trees must cycle very fast and work very hard, pruning and picking forces the tree to work faster and harder, it needs to hibernate (rest) so it knows when the ground will freeze, in other words suddenly all the leaves will drop all at once within two weeks for all fruit trees, different from the fruit itself, some early, other later.

Edited by trowel, October 28, 2014 - 06:28 PM.

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#28 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 06:25 PM

I'm also getting things ready,will be loading up lots of NOS Bolens parts to ebay,heading south LOL

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, October 28, 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#29 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:15 PM

The spilned shaft is 1 1/4" so I had a steel bushing that fit snug over it,I cut it to the length that I needed and put silicone on the splines and slid the piece of bushing over top.  That was a easy fix ,the hard part is finding a seal. Seems like no one was interested in taking a look in some of there seal box's to try and help me out.At least not today anyway. The parts people all wanted a number or make of machine. The seal that I'll need has to fit over the 1 1/2" sleeve plus fit into the housing which is 3 1/8"  [3.15"] on my digital calipers. I'll have to go into the big city to see if I can fine a seal as the people I was trying to deal with today didn't seem to want to be bothered trying to help me out. Gotta love some of the parts places ,LOL

Get on the internet and Google 'Baum Hydraulics' .  If you cant find the right seal (they have thousands of them) you can call them and give the internal, external and thickness in thousands and they will probably have a seal that will work.  Will probably have to explain to them that it is a non pressure seal for gear oil (or what ever it is for).  They are in Omaha, NE. and will ship to you with no problem.  They are going to discontinue their over the counter sales Jan 01.  Have to call in your order ahead of time and then can pick it up at the front desk.  Good luck find it.

chieffan

#30 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 05:34 PM

I still can't find the arms to mount my EK snow caster