3 replies to this topic

#1 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:43 AM

I need help setting up a cultivator!
I have a custom built sleeve hitch on a 140 deere (same hight off the ground and length of the factory made units. But right now when I lower the cultivator the front teeth are the only ones that go in the ground. Should I have the front two teeth lower then the second and the second two teeth lower then the third row of teeth?

#2 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Cultivating is about like plowing, you have to have the frame parallel to the ground. I'd find a nice flat concrete area and lower the unit to the ground and then go back and set the teeth so they run the same depth though out. A good vator setup should float on a set of gauge wheels, so the tractor doesn't interfere with it. I usually set my wheels with a piece of 1" wood under them, as your not trying to move a lot of dirt, just break the crust and knock down the weeds. If you set it to deep your just turning up more weed seeds to sprout all over again. If you had a true 3pt you would adjust the front to back level with the 3rd arm in the center, but I don't think there is any thing like that on a sleeve hitch.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 06:06 PM

On my old Sears without the gauge wheels I put 2" X 6"  boards under all four tires, lowered the cultivator and set it so all the teeth were just touching the floor.

Edited by GTTinkerer, October 26, 2014 - 06:07 PM.

• Alc, Lauber1 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thank you both will give it a shot and if and I do mean if I can remember to bring my I pad with I can get a few shots of my hitch And hopefully a few shots of the gator at work cultivating nothing lol