Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Bungartz Volkswagen Powered Tractor With 40 Hp Vw Motor - $4000 (N Franklin Ct)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,477 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'm not interested in this, just thought that it is odd enough to post.

Bungartz Volkswagen Powered Tractor with 40 HP VW Motor - $4000 (N Franklin CT)

This is a 1968 Bungartz T7/8EVW tractor. From what I've found, this is the last of the VW powered tractors, and the only year they used this square hood. Bungartz was a tractor company in Germany, similar to Gravely in the US, that did a small line of small tractors like this one. They were made to go in narrow regions (green houses, orchards, vineyards, for example) and have a very tight turning radius. This is one of 8 known, and the belief is that 25 may have been made.

This tractor utilizes a 40 HP VW industrial motor and a belt-driven hydraulic pump for the 2-point rear hitch. It features a multi-geared forward and reverse transmission and a PTO that has 2 speeds forward and 1 speed reverse. There is also a lever for locking the rear end for traction. While it's a small-looking tractor, it is heavy (about 3000 lbs) and extremely powerful. It will pull large amounts of weight, with it's only downfall being the narrow wheels will dig (shocked everyone at the tractor pull we brought it to).

Included with the tractor is an original Bungartz (from what we've been told) adjustable cultivator, 2 one-row plows and a disc harrow. There is also a set of dented orchard fender skirts. I also have a bunch of Bungartz and VW Industrial paperwork that goes with it. There are original front and rear Bungartz lights, along with a trailer plug. There is a VDO oil temp gauge and a new Bosch ignition switch.

It does run and drive. I have worked on creating an exhaust system, which has some slight flaws, but functions and allows the foot rest to be installed. The ignition switch tends to not put power to the coil when in start mode, so there is a jumper wire for that. The hydraulic pump has stopped pumping for some reason, but when it did work the control valve for the hitch did leak. A spare pump is included. The front tires are replacements, and the rear tires are German, which I believe are original. It is a 6 volt positive ground system.

The hood has a "crease" on one side, and there is some cracking to the filler that was applied to the dash (yes it is unstable on a hilly terrain...). There is some repainting to the factory blue. The gas tank was repainted red, with the new paint wrinkling and peeling off. The steering wheel is severely cracked but the structure is all there. The "horn button" is just a rubber body plug.

Edited by boyscout862, October 26, 2014 - 07:10 AM.

• Cvans, Arti and icecream4070 have said thanks

#2 icecream4070 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 47309
  • 61 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Looks rare lol
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 6,364 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:59 AM

68 not that old, yet few made would scare ME!  Think you would have to make about everything on it, but maybe most are generic parts anyway?  Kinda like a Factory built Homemade!  VW Industrial is new to me. Must have a Governor system then? Otherwise would think would rev way too fast for a machine power unit.  Like it has all these things with it, yet most are broken, hmm!

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 01:28 PM

In 1976 Bungartz became a part of Gutbrod.

VW industrial engines were used in combine harvesters, tractors, firebrigadepumps (a pump used by the firebrigade - don't know the right word) aso. This boxer engines were also used in the VW Buggy with lower hp.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, October 26, 2014 - 01:34 PM.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks