• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'm curious about the price of a young cow.  Guy I'm helping with harvest is offering me one for my help as partial payment.  Butchered/processed will also be part of the deal.  The cow, or still called a calf at this age (?) will be around 6 months old (?), (born this past spring) when picked up this late fall/early winter.  He is getting a few of them to feed through the winter to be butchered next spring/summer time-frame.  I've not been around cattle so I'm in the dark about them.  His daughter is going to take care of them, no charge for this, nor any fee for feed, he has lots of ground corn and lots of ground canola for feed.  Will be supplemented with grass baled from around the area.  He also is not sure on the current price of calves but is thinking it should run between $4 - 500?  He said we will get appx 800lbs of beef packaged to our specifications.

I want to go with him to pick them up when we get them, I think I know where/who has them.  They are well cared for, treats them like pets.  Is there anything I should watch for, ask about, check on, etc?  Specific breeds, one better than the other?  Should I hold out for angus, or will it matter as we are going to try to stay as organic as possible?  Any info/help is greatly appreciated.  From what I've heard over the years, I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, so to speak.

If possible, someone in my neck of the woods (ND) with ideas on what a good price is?

• Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 11:27 PM

I am not much help but I think we got a guy or two on here that can....

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 12:59 AM

Sounds like a deal to me. Prices last week up here for steers, 700-800lbs. live weight,$2.48-$2.64/lb. Heifers run a little less,$2.28-$2.44. A weanling will probably not weigh that much, depending on breed, but if it's around 600lb., they are bringing as high as $3.17 for steers and $2.84 for heifers per pound live weight. Then there is the cost of keeping it to butcher weight and the expense of the kill, cut and wrap. I don't know what was involved in the help you provided, but there is nothing better than home raised tender young beef. I am shipping my calves next week and can let you know how they do when the cheque comes if you like. 

Up here in the supermarket you can't get any cut of beef for less than $3.00/lb. and any "good" cut is well over $5.00.  If he is feeding it ground corn, canola and hay, that will be PRIME meat. I'm drooling already.

• Alc and Lmiller3358 have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:51 AM

Around here in the northeast a half beefer hanging goes for $3 lb, keep in mind that's hanging weight.  Sounds like a great deal to me!!!  How much work do you have involved? 

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hold out for ANGUS? :bigrofl:

There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, other than a masterfully crafted and executed publicity campaign by the Angus Breeders Association that makes an Angus better than any other breed cow.

I gotta hand it to them, they did a brilliant job of convincing the general public that anything other than Angus beef is barely edible.

The quality of the meat depends on how it's fed and finished out, not what color the cow is.

Shucks, the best beef I've ever eaten came from Holstein steers, which happen to be DAIRY cows and not beef cows, that my step-dad raised.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I agree with OB on the breed preference, the best steaks I've had in the last 10 years were from a Holstein steer used as a replacement calf. My friends herd is all black angus, so the calf got named Waldo. Hilarious out at pasture, 120 blacks and one Waldo.
  • grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:14 AM

It has been many years since I was involved enough to know what I'm talking about... But I will give you my pre conceived notions.
Dairy cows are for milk... beef cows are for eating... Sorry Scott & OB, but my stuff would've changed your mind that Holsteins are eaters. I WILL say that IF they are young enough and finished right, Holsteins can be eaten, but are best as burgers or canned meat. IMHO
The only reason Angus is a big deal is they won the marketing wars versus the other breeds.
My $0.02 : look for a (generic term here) White Face. This is caused by a cross breeding between a (usually) Hereford and another beef breed. Often Angus, but could be other.
It is unusual to have dairy cow breeding stock involved when having the white face color scheme.
Even less likely if its white face and four on the floor (socks)

A little google-fuu for "white face beef cow cross breed" will give you more pics than you ever wanted.

Cat, "Waldo" that's priceless. :rolling:
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:23 AM

I grew up with registered Holsteins, my uncle raised registered Black Angus, I'll take dairy stock any day for eating, or at least cross-breds!  And grass feds over grain feds, don't care for all the fat in the meat.  ~~  Lowell

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Best I've ever eaten was "Fries" as we named him.  Steaks melt in your mouth!   We sold "Burgers".  Pure holstein steer, on grass pasture & free choice grain.  Right now a large newborn holstein bull calf is selling for $300+ down here, so those prices are a steal!

#10 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:56 AM

If it is in my freezer it is a Charolais/Angus mix.    Rick

#11 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Like stated above it is more the way it is rasied and finished that will make good beef. I raise main black angus cross. I run both herford and angus bulls with mostly black cows. We used to raise longhorns and had over 200 head of them. They were the best eating I have ever had. For a time we feed out longhorns for a packing plant that sold to top resturants like the space needle in Seattle. Longhorn is very lean. The worst steak I had was at a place in Yellowstone Park. It was regeasterd Montana angus. I was embarised for us montana beef growers. If I remember right we feed out it was for a minumim of 21 days on corn in our feed lot. Thats more to get the fat and marbleing in the meat. I prefer the leaner grass feed myself. The other thing is to find a butcher you trust and will hang the beef for about 14 days, this make a big difference. Most want it in and out right away. I just had an 18 month steer done. Grass feed angus/herford cross. It cost $55 kill fee (I hauled it to them) and $.55 a pound prossesing.

#12 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:46 AM

I should add that the $.55 a pound is on the rail (carcus hanging weight).

#13 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info, lots to think about!

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 11:05 AM

If it is in my freezer it is a Charolais/Angus mix.    Rick

Ahh black nosed charolais, good eating!

#15 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 02:19 PM

Shucks, the best beef I've ever eaten came from Holstein steers, which happen to be DAIRY cows and not beef cows...

I agree with OB on the breed preference, the best steaks I've had in the last 10 years were from a Holstein steer...

Totally agree, Angus has nothing on a Holstein as far as flavor.

• grnspot110 said thank you