Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

26 Is The Magic Number!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Just finished up moving wood into the basement today.  I built a wall of sorts (in two pieces) to protect my basement door and began dumping buckets of wood in the stair well with the Massey.  This is the fastest way I've found yet.  Easiest too.  I would dump 5 bucket loads and shut the outsode doors.  Head down to the basement to stack, then do it all over again.  26 bucket loads in the basement which equals about 1 1/4 cords.  Once I start burning I bring wood in every week but not that much.  A good bit of what I brought in this week won't be burnt till the end of winter.  I usually stop bringing wood in around the middle of February and then what I have in the basement gets me to the end of winter... usually, except for last winter when I was scrounging for more.  I keep that much in the basement because I am out of town at times and my wife doesn't have to worry about getting some wood in the house when I'm gone.  Chimney is clean, stove is clean, wood is stocked but winter can take its time.

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 13 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,665 Thanks
  • 28,317 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Got some more in for Mom today too. Glad you got the wood down, one thing off the list.
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 04:46 AM

Nothing like being prepared. Beats trying to get it done in the frigid cold with snow blowing. Tom

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,159 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:46 AM

I usually have all my wood in and done by now, this year I am ok.  I could use a few more cords but that is just me being paranoid.  A few years ago I got busy and dint get my wood in at all :wallbanging:  I spent the batter half of the winter chopping it out of the snow.  Being prepared is always a good thing.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:01 AM

It is funny how we figure out bucket loads per cord. My Ford 2000 is 10 loads per cord. The Ford 4500 is 5 loads per cord and the AC HD6G is 3 loads per cord. So far, I'm still trying to fix the machines to go harvest wood for this year. I always expect a nasty winter and try to have extra wood and 25 gallons of gas for the generator. Good Luck, Rick

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,045 Thanks
  • 4,976 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:23 AM

I did the same thing dumping wood down the outside stairs. Worked well.