• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:12 AM

After scanning through my literature I'm pretty sure I have every manual for the Bolens push mowers and could not find one exactly like this. I then went to my Propulsion engine literature which was a separate company ran by FMC that made the same mowers but put different colors and brand names on them, I think I found a partslist!

Need more info to go forward though, what is the size of the cut 19'' 21'' or 22''

A good pic of the handle bars.

Is that engine a 6BHS ?

#32 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,210 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:17 AM

What are your plans for this?

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:23 AM

What are your plans for this?

Sell it to me?  :D

• wilberj said thank you

#34 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,210 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Sell it to me?  :D

Ok you get this one but I get one of yours...

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#35 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 09:17 AM

I know you guys are all excited about this mower, but I'm not sure it is a Bolens mower.  ....I seem to remember a mower branded "Eska" which had a similar look and blue color and had that type of starter.

The rear wheels on the mower pictured appear to be plastic, so they are replacements.   .....Looking at where the handle attaches at the lower end, it appears the holes are oversize, so the handle may have also been replaced at some time.

Does anyone know for fact if Bolens made these mower decks at that time period?  .....It is possible that Bolens (FMC) bought decks from another company.  ....If that is so, this mower deck may have been sold under several brand names and colors.

It would be interesting to know if there is any sign of green paint under the blue.

#36 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:17 AM

I have seen reel mowers with that set up..but thats a new one right there...hummmmm

I too remember an old reel mower that I used as a kid,,, It had a half moon gear ( kinda like the steering gear )  and a handle on it...You would pull the handle,, and a gear would rotate in to the horizontal shaft of the motor..AND if I remember right it only turned the motor about 1 revolution of the piston,,so needless to say it took many pulls on the handle...

That made me Chuckle thinking about the old wind-ups ---   GOOD  ONE.!!!

#37 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Sell it to me? :D

I think it would look very nice next to all of your other Bolens at the county fair ;)
This is a really cool mower. I've never seen anything like it. Seems to me like handle bar would get in the way when stomping down on it.

#38 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 05:10 PM

I know you guys are all excited about this mower, but I'm not sure it is a Bolens mower.  ....I seem to remember a mower branded "Eska" which had a similar look and blue color and had that type of starter.

The rear wheels on the mower pictured appear to be plastic, so they are replacements.   .....Looking at where the handle attaches at the lower end, it appears the holes are oversize, so the handle may have also been replaced at some time.

Does anyone know for fact if Bolens made these mower decks at that time period?  .....It is possible that Bolens (FMC) bought decks from another company.  ....If that is so, this mower deck may have been sold under several brand names and colors.

It would be interesting to know if there is any sign of green paint under the blue.

The deck shell is what originally made me think Bolens/FMC built

The same style was used on my Power Pak and also looks identical to the partslist I found , unfortunately the partslist does not show a pic of this machine.

Attached Thumbnails

• mower.png
  • DSCN5282.JPG

• Bruce Dorsi and dodge trucker have said thanks

#39 Ron Dziedzic OFFLINE  

Ron Dziedzic
  • Member No: 62341
  • 80 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 02:34 PM

It's green now

#40 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 05:10 PM

I was asked about "original" blade  It isn't just a flat one, it is "raised" in the center where it bolts on. 

and yeah it is a Briggs 6B-HS.  I did get the owners manual for the engine with the mower. 

What am I gonna do with it?  I dunno yet.  For now it will do the ditches another time or 2 (or until the gas tank runs dry) and it will be put away for this winter as it sits.  Beyond that I am not sure.

It does look a awful lot like the apparently freshly painted one, in the pic 2 posts above.

I can see a raised flat spot on front of the engine where it might of had some sort of brand logo sticker on it at some point.

Edited by dodge trucker, October 30, 2014 - 05:12 PM.