#16 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I would to find one of those. I have a ton of minibikes.

They have them on ebay all the time...

• laurarg3 and nelljg60 have said thanks

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Someone finds a great mower and all we're talking about is mini bike starters? :wtf:

#18 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Someone finds a great mower and all we're talking about is mini bike starters? :wtf:

I'll have to say, Brian, that Bolens thought up some ingenious things.  That "Step-O-Matic" is a fascinating design.  I wonder why it didn't catch on? 

I think it looks like a great kit for new mowers, too.  You never know what my mower will look like tomorrow!  :D

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and Auburn David have said thanks

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:43 PM

Was that a standard feature or was it an option or aftermarket item for someone with physical limitations that prevented them from using arm power to start? I have never seen one, but have to admit some of those pull starts could be awkward.
  • Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Bolens always went above and beyond.

This was standard equipment on these models, alot of the push mowers they made were self propelled as well which was another rarity for 50's era push mowers.

I really wish the ID tag was still present. First survivor I have ever seen besides brochures with the step start.

Does it still have the original blade?

What does it measure?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5586.JPG
  • DSCN5587.JPG

• olcowhand, shallowwatersailor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#21 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:03 PM

I wonder if there is green paint under the blue?  That might help identify it.  

#22 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Nice find!!! That is an older Briggs. The later ones had a bracket going from the carb base up to a bolt on the fan shroud. It kept the intake tube from breaking in two... happened to a couple of old push mowers my Dad had.

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Bolens always went above and beyond.

This was standard equipment on these models, alot of the push mowers they made were self propelled as well which was another rarity for 50's era push mowers.

I really wish the ID tag was still present. First survivor I have ever seen besides brochures with the step start.

Does it still have the original blade?

What does it measure?

Brian, looking at your photos, I think it's a Deluxe 19" model looking at the engine tin.

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 10:18 PM

BTW that's not a tech. it's a briggs.

yeah I know that, I dont remember ever saying it was a Tech.  I think with the pic of that minibike starter, things got confused.

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 10:28 PM

I actually did get the owners manual for the engine, with the mower.  It made no mention of the kick start.  So that was a stock factory deal?

I remember some of the early 60s Briggs' with the wind up starter but this one is a 1st for me.   IDK if I would recognize the blade as "original"  with it being as old as it is...

I just picked it up because I'd never seen one like it and thought it was cool.  the fact that it actually runs was a bonus. I was thinking that the kick start may have been some kind of optional add on, that would have been on the shelf next to the Arnold power rakes and the grass catcher bags back in the day.

What I remember of Bolens push mowers was the yellowish ones of the 70s... I think they were called "FMC Bolens"

IDK where you guys all come up with all the Bolens tractors, I remember seeing 2 of them around here about 30 years ago, both owned by the same guy.  There is a Bolens snow blower attachment on Chicago CL (at least there was yesterday) that looks like brand new.  It's in a town called Lincolshire, which is alot closer to Chicago "itself" than I am.

• Trav1s said thank you

#26 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 06:52 AM

I remember seeing a number of the rotary push mowers with the step start in the late fifties and early 60s. As the engines got harder to start with age the men would stomp harder on the pedal and the deck would give way. The ones I remember were stamped decks and my aunts' could be step or just pull. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#27 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Brian, looking at your photos, I think it's a Deluxe 19" model looking at the engine tin.

Yes, thats what  I'm thinking as well.

Will have to search more literature and see what comes up.

I actually did get the owners manual for the engine, with the mower.  It made no mention of the kick start.  So that was a stock factory deal?

I remember some of the early 60s Briggs' with the wind up starter but this one is a 1st for me.   IDK if I would recognize the blade as "original"  with it being as old as it is...

I just picked it up because I'd never seen one like it and thought it was cool.  the fact that it actually runs was a bonus. I was thinking that the kick start may have been some kind of optional add on, that would have been on the shelf next to the Arnold power rakes and the grass catcher bags back in the day.

What I remember of Bolens push mowers was the yellowish ones of the 70s... I think they were called "FMC Bolens"

IDK where you guys all come up with all the Bolens tractors, I remember seeing 2 of them around here about 30 years ago, both owned by the same guy.  There is a Bolens snow blower attachment on Chicago CL (at least there was yesterday) that looks like brand new.  It's in a town called Lincolshire, which is alot closer to Chicago "itself" than I am.

You'll know if the blade is original, its a strange shaped one. (Bolens was already using their patented mulching blades at this time)

You really need to get this painted to proper colors, It will look so much nicer.

Can you get a picture of the handle bars? Would like to see if they are original or not.

• Alc said thank you

#28 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:12 AM

I did not take pics of the handle bars as I did not think to do it.  Don might be able to confirm what they look like but I do believe they are original to it.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#29 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 08:40 AM

yeah this one can be started by pulling the rope if you want to.

#30 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:47 AM

You know what is amazing is we can look at something like that now and how simple it would be to do but was a breakthrough at that time. Very cool Bolens push mower. I would like to see if it is green under the blue also.