6 replies to this topic

#1 Paugus OFFLINE  

Paugus
  • Member No: 62842
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please be patient ;-) I have a G10 (built 1977 I believe) with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It was working fine and then suddenly stopped starting. I replaced the plug and checked all visible leads for wear. The starter still turns over strongly but when I pull the plug and check the spark I get nothing. Any idea of a mostly likely cause for this? Solenoid maybe? It's a great little tractor so I'd like to get it fixed instead of replacing.

Thanks,

Steve

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi Steve, Welcome to GTtalk.  Do you know if your engine has electronic ignition or points?  First place I think I would check is the safety switches.  The seat switch is the one that usually tend to go out. 

Check the manual section for a manual for your tractor and engine that may help.

• MyBolens1053 and Paugus have said thanks

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi, Steve, welcome to GTT !

Your problem will not be in the solenoid, as that is the part that energizes the starter, so if the starter is turning, the solenoid is OK.

There are usually safety switches on the PTO and clutch to prevent starting with the tractor in gear or with the pto engaged.  ...However, if I'm not mistaken, on your G10, they would prevent the starter from turning, not disable the ignition. 

• MyBolens1053 and Paugus have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:39 AM

I have had condensers go to ground and cause that as well.

• Paugus said thank you

#5 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please be patient ;-) I have a G10 (built 1977 I believe) with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It was working fine and then suddenly stopped starting. I replaced the plug and checked all visible leads for wear. The starter still turns over strongly but when I pull the plug and check the spark I get nothing. Any idea of a mostly likely cause for this? Solenoid maybe? It's a great little tractor so I'd like to get it fixed instead of replacing.

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Your model 1055 (G-10) has a B&S model 251417 motor. Spark gap should be 0.030 with a Champion RCJ-8 or equivalent. The wiring diagram states that your model is wired for a magneto system. There is a Blue wire coming off the key switch on the "D" terminal. That is your ground out when you shut the engine off. You will need to check that the magneto is not grounded when in the Run position on the switch. That's the easy test. Next would be to check the Magneto for damage or misalignment.

Good luck.

Edited by MyBolens1053, October 25, 2014 - 11:03 AM.

• HDWildBill and Paugus have said thanks

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Also check the wire lead from the magneto to the coil and check the spark plug wire. Ohm them out for continuity and check active for voltage.

• HDWildBill and Paugus have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Make sure when your checking for spark with the plug out that the plug is in fact grounded.  Also B&S does not have a real strong visible spark and is easy to miss.  Check the fly wheel magnet for dirt, rust, etc.  The cleaner the better.  Re-gap the coil using a business card between the coil and flywheel magnet.  Lot of little things can cause a big problem and nothing is more irritating than a small engine that won't start.  Good luck. 

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs and stratton