Hood Damage On Db

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 01:28 AM

I have been working on the hood on the db walk behind. (sorry no pics camera shot) the opening where the exhaust comes out was almost folded over. I did get it fixed almost perfect but I have some "multi dents" around where the fold line was. As this is the only damage to the hood, I would like to fix with littleto no bondo. Is there any real way to do this with out having to take to a body repair shop? As most shops around here don't want to do equipment. They would rather do "auto" repair.

I do have body hammers and dolly but don't want to hurt more than help.

Any suggestions?

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 1,042 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 02:10 PM

It can be done,I can't tell you how but shrinking hammers and body files come to mind.Get some metal the same gauge and practice.

Sounds like your almost there just don't work harden the metal and the old masters used lead but that is an art in itself.There are some body fillers out there that have metal powder in them that are supposed to work well.

Ya I know what you mean about body shops,Most of em just what to slap on a new fender,paint it and shove it out the door.

• JBRamsey said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,757 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 03:10 PM

I removed some dents and dings on my hood with a large ball peen hammer and a block of wood, like a piece of 2X4.  Place the block on the low side of the dent and use the round part of the hammer on the high side.  Work it out easy increasing the swing pressure as you go.  Just have to go by feel and what progress your making.  Good luck.

#4 grattone OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66237
  • 221 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have been told that you can heat the dent with a small torch until the medal almost red then hold ice cubes on top and bottom, this should shrink the metal. I have never tried this, I have cut a thin slot in a dent hammered it flat, welded back with mig. welder  and ground it down. Took some time and practice but it was all metal. Most of this depends on the gauge metal and patience of operator, I would think that hood is strong metal (heat and ice not such a good idea) cut and weld would be my choice. Not to many body repair people working anymore. Good Luck 

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 09:57 PM

If you do have to do some filler, instead of bondo or something along those lines, maybe a good 2 part epoxy like JB weld or some of the others out there. Should hold up a long time, I would think.