#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hello everyone, been too much going on to post much but besides mowing constantly with the MF12 due to lots of rain, nothing substantial to talk about with my GT's. I dig reading about yours though!

Our '72 GMC developed a miss that proved to be a valve that had pounded about 3/16" into the head! Half of this summer and fall in my shop has been spent doing the repairs on a shoestring budget meaning I couldn't afford to farm out anything and had to build the heads myself out of a "good" disassembled set from a co-worker. Intake is about to go on.

To get to my point, a coincidence happened about a month ago making it more important to get this truck back in shape. My wife's Uncle, who lives 70 miles south, called out of the blue and said that he was going to unload his supersized cabover camper one more time and it was going to be at our house. Either that or scrap. Well I don't scrap anything but beer cans so I got sucked in! They have been traveling all over the country in it for a couple of decades and he is a retired mechanical and fabrication guru that keeps things in great condition. He said they are just getting too old to climb around in a cabover so they bought a low riding pull-behind.

It is a 1972 Born-Free "Detachable Motor Coach" that without the step-bumper measures 19 feet long with the cabover, but with that said, just the overhang behind an 8' box pickup is a whopping 6', so long that the camper itself has an extra axle! Anyway, pictures speak better so here are some of the camper.

DAC       

Attached Thumbnails

• Born Free camper 006.jpg
  • Born Free camper 007.jpg
  • Born Free camper 010.jpg
  • Born Free camper 011.jpg
  • Born Free camper 012.jpg
  • Born Free camper 013.jpg
  • Born Free camper 015.jpg
  • Born Free camper interior.jpg
  • Born Free paperwork folder 001.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 11:48 PM

That's an impressive camper, and it looks to be in great shape too. Can you still tow a trailer behind it or is it too long to want to try?

• MFDAC said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 12:06 AM

That's a nice camper. My brother had one like that back in the late 70s. He had a Dodge 4 X 4 and he and his wife and three kids camped in it and loved it. I deer hunted in it with him along with my other brother. More than enough room. Nice to see it not scraped.  Good luck.                                              Roger.

• MFDAC said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 04:44 AM

That is a big camper! Have fun with it!

• MFDAC said thank you

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 04:58 AM

holy camper!!!  me abd the wife picked up a new tow behind last year.  18' cub hybrid, that is kind of what I expected to see here, we lost our 76 wilderness travel trailer to rot.  I sure do miss it :(  Glad to see that old beauty has a good home and have fun with it.

• MFDAC said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:09 AM

What a unique and well preserved survivor.
There are guys out there as nutty over campers as we are over tractors. If you have questions, you might see if you can find a forum
  • hamman, wvbuzzmaster, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Awesome camper. I don't recall ever seeing one of those rigs up here in Canada. It's probably pretty heavy. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#8 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Impressed with the condition it has been kept. Does the set of tires wear fast on it?

• MFDAC said thank you

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:30 AM

Nice camper! That's a truck load for sure!!
  • MFDAC said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:48 AM

Holy Campanoli, that's a biggun!

• MFDAC said thank you

#11 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:13 AM

WoW, That's a Wopper!  That would be a good one to stuff in the back of an old school bus.. Do some camping redneck style.  :worship:

• MFDAC and Bill 76 have said thanks

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Very nice looking camper....well kept!

You sure the GMC in the 2nd photo will hold it? :poke:

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:28 AM

f00u0u_5n1Iag0ZE59_600x450.jpg

• MFDAC and Bill 76 have said thanks

#14 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:30 AM

I would love to see the setup on the helper wheels,seems they would need to pivot some?

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 01:43 PM

That's an impressive camper, and it looks to be in great shape too. Can you still tow a trailer behind it or is it too long to want to try?

My '72 GMC is a 3/4 ton but only a 350 engine so I don't have any desire to pull a trailer too. I imagine it could be set up to tow. I have a 6' receiver hitch extension that I got from scrap so something similar has been done I guess!

That's a nice camper. My brother had one like that back in the late 70s. He had a Dodge 4 X 4 and he and his wife and three kids camped in it and loved it. I deer hunted in it with him along with my other brother. More than enough room. Nice to see it not scraped.  Good luck.                                              Roger.

Uncle Jim said he never tried to sell it but felt he couldn't get much out of it if he would have tried.

What a unique and well preserved survivor.
There are guys out there as nutty over campers as we are over tractors. If you have questions, you might see if you can find a forum

I am on a Vintage Camping Trailer page on Facebook and there were folks there that liked it.

Awesome camper. I don't recall ever seeing one of those rigs up here in Canada. It's probably pretty heavy. 

I can't remember right off hand but I think about 6,000! The shell is mostly fiberglass.

Impressed with the condition it has been kept. Does the set of tires wear fast on it?

Jim said that they last a long time, but obviously there is scrub in tighter turns. The way it is designed it only takes a few minutes to plant the jacks and drive out from under it, hence the "Detachable Motor Coach" marketing. Put it on the camping site then use your truck for the short trip driving.

WoW, That's a Wopper!  That would be a good one to stuff in the back of an old school bus.. Do some camping redneck style.  :worship:

Yeah that would be fun! It will look pretty redneck on our old '72 GMC also!

Very nice looking camper....well kept!

You sure the GMC in the 2nd photo will hold it? :poke:

Well Jim said it would actually, but that's not gonna happen!-LOL! That poor old six banger would be quite overworked!

I would love to see the setup on the helper wheels,seems they would need to pivot some?

Your pic is what it will look like but with a white GMC! It doesn't pivot but is adjustable for various ride hights of different trucks. Not really designed for driving around in tight areas, as they made it pretty easy to set it down and drive out from under it.

Thanks everyone for the comments and questions!

Here is the axle setup and the truck it will go on. Uncle Jim replaced the original axle with a common trailer house axle many years ago. I do have to build a "receiver" rear bumper for the truck but it will be awhile before I can do that. 

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Born Free sub frame 002.jpg
  • 108_0343.jpg
  • Born Free camper 002.jpg

• MH81, hamman, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks