Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

After Two Years Of Silence The Massey 1655 Is Back To Life.

massey 1655 hydro belts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Two years ago at the Dover, PA tractor show I was driving the Massey 1655 to go load or pull something. All of a sudden something let loose and it shut down. Found it was the hydro drive belts that blew apart. It ended up catching the choke cable and pulling it straight through the dash. I must add that it was a nice dash too until this happened. 

We got it loaded on the trailer that day and brought it home. It has sat behind the kid's playhouse for the last two years. Somehow the last month or so I have been able to be pretty productive with working on our tractors. I got a chance to bring it down into the garage and work on it. Took about an hour to fish the belt pieces from the motor shaft and hydro shaft. Choke cable was ripped to bits. Ordered a new choke cable and also stopped and picked up two new belts. 

I gotta say I am a little disappointed with our two Tractor Supplys within the area. For some reason they have really downsized their belt selection. We ended up getting one belt from one local mower shop and another from a different shop.

Got the tractor back together with the new belts and choke cable and it fired right off after I remembered to turn the gas on. Ran it around the house for a little bit and parked it. Went out to it the next day and the bucket tilt cylinder on the right side was really leaking at the shaft seal. It had leaked before but only a drop or so. This was a puddle about the size of a paper plate. Took the cylinder off and dropped it off at a local hydraulics place that is right across from my work. 

They called within a couple hours to say it was done and the total was $48. I went over to pick it up and he was having issues with the computer. He ended up getting frustrated and told me to just get going. So price of repair = $0.

No more leaking but I still need to replace the control valve. Wouldn't mine getting a single lever loader valve but I may just get the two lever so the ports are in the up direction. I could always get the single and get 90* fittings to make the current hoses work. I would have to make up a new mounting bracket though.

• olcowhand, Bill56, rustyoldjunk and 8 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Good to hear!  Not so much that the Massey is going, but more so that you got some hobby time....good for the soul!

#3 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Great to hear she's back in business George.That was a good time to pick up your cylinder,by the sounds of it. I can't imagine being without my 1655 for a week,let alone 2 whole years.

#4 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 03:51 AM

It's good that it's back working, not so good that you had to shop at 2 places for one set of belts.

Those belts need to be a matched set or one is going to do the majority of the work. If you've ever tried to run a 1655 hard on one belt, you know that it's a lose lose situation. Limited power available before the shorter belt starts slipping, and high belt wear for the belt trying to do the work.

https://ww2.gates.co...ts/Gf000194.pdf

• MH81 and ENafziger have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 04:40 AM

Glad you got some GT time in, George!

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:15 AM

George, good to hear the Massey is up and moving again. Also great to hear you got.a little T&R.

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:38 AM

Glad to hear.

I pulled the motor out of my 1855 2 yrs ago to replace the starter and belts, motor still sitting on the floor.

#8 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Glad to hear.

I pulled the motor out of my 1855 2 yrs ago to replace the starter and belts, motor still sitting on the floor.

Tahoe,if your not going to use that engine,i've got a tractor waiting for an 18 onan.LOL

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Tahoe,if your not going to use that engine,i've got a tractor waiting for an 18 onan.LOL

It's sitting on the floor cause I got too many other projects going on at once. It will run again.....someday! 

• limebuzz said thank you

#10 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Glad you got it going again George.I was wondering why it wasn't at Dover this year.

#11 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:52 AM

You must have to many other tractor's working that the 1655 was on such a low priority repair [fix] list. Glad you had some free time to do some GT fixing. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massey, 1655, hydro, belts