Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

opinions needed, repair or part it out, mower deck.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 08:07 AM

I have a massey 1855, when i purchased it the owner said he did not have the deck. 6 months later at an auction at his place there is the deck laying in the line. long sroy short i got it for $30. This winter i brought it into the shop and tore it down for rebuild, it is still sitting there in pieces. There is no problems with it other than bearings, seal and snap rings. I am estimating that it will cost about $100 in parts and paint to get it up to par.

During this tear down I got to thinking about how hard and expensive the parts would be to replace if there was any major problems now and in the future. Also since the 1855 is my main gardening tractor , I got to wandering how much of a hassle it was going to be to drop the deck everytime I went to do something in the garden. I have a little MTD mower I have used for years so its not like i need the deck. I am always looking for a reason to get the MF out but is the hassle of dropping the deck every time I go into the garden worth it?

So i am looking to you guys that use their GTs to mow with and work the garden with to steer me in the right direction. Is it a pain to switch from mowing to gardening? Should I part out the deck and put that money to another GT for mowing?

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 08:38 AM

Just my 2 cents worth here. I would probably go ahead and fix up the mower deck for the 1855. As long as you have it apart and it wouldn't cost to much to make it a working deck at least then it would be ready to use on the 1855 if something went wrong with your MTD mower. There is nothing wrong with having a backup plan and if the MTD went down in the middle of mowing season you could be up and mowing in short order and have time to fix the MTD.

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 08:52 AM

:ditto: I think tractormike is giving you some good advice.

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Just my 2 cents worth here. I would probably go ahead and fix up the mower deck for the 1855. As long as you have it apart and it wouldn't cost to much to make it a working deck at least then it would be ready to use on the 1855 if something went wrong with your MTD mower. There is nothing wrong with having a backup plan and if the MTD went down in the middle of mowing season you could be up and mowing in short order and have time to fix the MTD.

I have 1 dedicated grass cutter, it's my best fastest grass cutter and I always have a spare machine either ready to go or can be made ready quickly. You never know whats going to happen or break.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 10:17 AM

Backup mowers are priceless! I do most of my mowing with my John Deere F935 in the open areas, and use my Kubota G4200 around the house. In a pinch, I could use my Bush Hog S4242 3pt bush hog for the open areas, and the little Bush Hog T-63 is mow ready. I also have the Unico 15 that I could ready in short order.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Even for all the more I have, I have a backup. Actually 2... if you count my kids & push mowers.

I use the GT5000 for all the pulling, pushing, plowing and my older GT6000 for all the mowing. I'll run it until the deck finally goes bad (was rusty when I got it, did what I could to save it.) Then I have 2 decks for the GT5000, one of those may go under the 6000, IDK.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Backup mowers are priceless! I do most of my mowing with my John Deere F935 in the open areas, and use my Kubota G4200 around the house. In a pinch, I could use my Bush Hog S4242 3pt bush hog for the open areas, and the little Bush Hog T-63 is mow ready. I also have the Unico 15 that I could ready in short order.

:iagree:
I agree with Daniel, I always have a couple decks and tractors ready just in case I need it.

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Redo the deck lean it against the wall. Now in a few mins you can be mowing if something happens to the main mower and will not have to rush to get it fixed. It is always good to have a backup and at the price to redo the deck it is good insurance.

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 12:23 PM

I would agree with the restore on the deck. Keep it in case you need it. If you don't need it, you won't be out much.

Aren't people funny. He "didn't" have the deck when you wanted it, but at the auction, here it is and you got it anyways. Good for you. I'd keep it with the 1855 just for that reason.

#10 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 01:53 PM

I have two GT's and I try to classify them as to switch "stuff" as little as possible.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 08:04 AM

Don't forget... down the road if you ever want to sell it, a tractor with a mower deck can always bring more than a bare workhorse. Let's face it, most people want a tractor to mow with... and do some other stuff.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have to follow the trend. When I bought my 318 it was with the plan to have two mowing machines.
But with the list of things I have to do this summer, Garden, reseeding corn stalk ground, grading etc I don't know if the deck will be mounted this year? But it's there if I need it. In the Meantime The Murray 22 hp with 52" mower will be the primary mower.
If I were to find a 20-30 hp farm tractor/utility, at the right price to do the garden work, the deck would defineately go back on the 318. But you can not be without a back up plan! Machines break or need maintainence, that's just the nature of the beasts. And the grass grows and never waits.

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 10:58 PM

Thanks everyone for their input. I will refurb the deck.