81 replies to this topic

#46 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 01:23 AM

I payed cash with 1 big overtime check for a 2005 chevy to replace the 95 dodge as a daily driver. I still use the dodge as a back up/ scrap hauler. I pay more for insurance than I do for gas on the dodge, but I couldnt sell it for what I could buy one just like it to replace it. That may sound weird to to some but I know what has been fixed, I know what may wear out, and I know what it will cost me to (not) drive it for the next 10 years.I will lose more than both trucks are worth if I bought a new one and sold it a year later

#47 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Well I went ahead and looked at the new Colorado yesterday and I was not impressed.  35k for this thing and it is not what I want, the truck is huge!! at least as big as a Silverado. if the new Colorado's are 6" smaller than the full size trucks I would be surprised.  I went to look at  small truck I could use for a daily driver and still use as a truck and this is not it, What is going on with these new trucks? they are super expensive and getting bigger by the day.

I was very disappointed!!  to the point I did not even test drive it.  My wife is going to the Toyota dealer tomorrow to look at new trucks there.  I have seen a few of them and they look ok, not oversized like the chevy's.

The best part of the entire thing is the Colorado is supposed to get 27 mpg with a 6sp auto but the Silverado get 21 with a 5sp auto.  the only difference in the mpg is the trans, you could get 27mpg out of the Silverado with the 6sp trans,  WTF is going on I thought they were supposed to be making the trucks get better mpg???

#48 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I thought they looked not much smaller than a Silverado.

Best you are gonna get is a 2.7 4 banger double cab Tacoma. Small pickup. 27 to 34 new.

Nice trucks though. In my short list for trucks.

Edited by toomanytoys84, October 26, 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#49 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:37 PM

Do they still make the Dodge Dakota?

#50 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Truck prices are crazy.  I needed/got an F250 with diesel a few years back, a 2005.  It was in 2011, 6 years old and was out there, but I had a need for it.  Last year I wanted to trade it in for a new one, bout pooped my britches when they quoted me the price.  AND they wanted to give me less than what I owed on it.  I was wanting a newer one, gas eng to get ride of the diesel.  Told the wife, for what the payments would be, insurance, it was cheaper to buy diesel fuel I would come out better in the long run, and cheaper to run monthly.  I will have this torque monster paid off in another year, I'm going to drive it til I, or it dies.  If it dies, I will spend the $$ to fix it.  New trucks are NOT worth the price they now bring.  Good luck on y'alls truck buying, hope u have shares in a gold mine.

#51 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Do they still make the Dodge Dakota?

No, ended with the 2012 year models I think.
  • Cvans said thank you

#52 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 11:17 PM

WOW, I had no idea pickups cost so much, that is insane!

Every one always ask me, "why don't you buy a new pickup?", I always say I can't afford one, but now after reading all of this I realized that I REALLY can't afford one! I love the pickup I have now, It's a '81 Chevy flat bed with extended frame with the 292 inline 6 engine. I would trust this pickup to go about anywhere, it pulls my 24' 5th wheel trailer so that's all I need and I only paid $850 for it 3 years ago. :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• Digging Up Cars 004.JPG

Edited by BTS, October 27, 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#53 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Wow, what an eye opener. For those looking for a smaller truck I was going to recommend checking out a Nissan Frontier but a quick check shows even those are now over $30K...

#54 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Wow, what an eye opener. For those looking for a smaller truck I was going to recommend checking out a Nissan Frontier but a quick check shows even those are now over $30K...

Look at used and they are more reasonable.  The only downside is that the current generation of Frontier has not been redesigned since introduced in 2005.    The VQ40 is an excellent engine but fuel economy is sad for a v6.  It was either a Frontier, an older Pathfinder with the VQ35 or the Grand Cherokee when I was shopping last time.  I settled on a 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7HO engine <--- That is my final answer.  3.73 gears, AWD, and 22 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH if I behave.

Oh yeah, I considered a 2005/2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel but got scared away from them because they have a Vmi sources 2.8 diesel that uses a timing belt, and is an interference engine.  Too much risk for my daily.

If money were no object I would go with a new Ram that has the 3.0 diesel.

Edited by Trav1s, October 27, 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#55 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Liberty Diesel but got scared away from them because they have a Vmi sources 2.8 diesel that uses a timing belt, and is an interference engine.  Too much risk for my daily.

If money were no object I would go with a new Ram that has the 3.0 diesel.

Build an interference engine with a timing belt or even a timing chain for that matter is just plain stupid if you ask me.  When it eventually goes it's bye bye engine.  The new one in the 1500 Rams is not interference is it?  Those are VMI diesels as well.  

I will stick with my 2005 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax.  Open road on cruise at 65-70 and it gets 24 mpg without a load.  Have got as good as 15 mpg with the gooseneck and tractors going to Ohio.

#56 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Can't say if the new 3.0 is interference or not.  Gonna have to do some digging now.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#57 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Can't say if the new 3.0 is interference or not.  Gonna have to do some digging now.

When your done with that, feel free to go ahead and school me on what it is. And VMI. All I know is that if a Jetta TDI loses a timing belt, you lose an engine. What I don't know is why.

#58 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:30 PM

When your done with that, feel free to go ahead and school me on what it is. And VMI. All I know is that if a Jetta TDI loses a timing belt, you lose an engine. What I don't know is why.

Interference engines = valves contact pistons went they get out of time (the VW TDI, the Chrysler 4.7, are a few of the bunch)

Tons of modern engines are interference engines but the chance of loosing a timing belt is much greater than loosing a timing chain - or at least in my mind.  

VMi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori = Italian engine manufacturer

http://www.vmmotori.it

http://www.dieselpow.../?__federated=1

Edited by Trav1s, October 27, 2014 - 07:33 PM.

• Cat385B said thank you

#59 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:44 PM

I started out with a 85 S-10 2wd in 1993, it was a good truck except it had the worse engine GM made, the 2.8. After that I had a assortment of toyotas, from a 87 4runner to a 98 Tacoma. My favorite was my 94 with the 22RE four banger, that was a tough little truck. I currently have a 03 S-10 ZR2, and while its a good truck I would take a nice early to mid 90's Toyota any day.Besides new trucks being priced way too high you almost always have to take it to a dealer or auto shop to get it fixed because of all the new emissions and computerized crap on them. I remember helping my dad work on our 75 Chevy Cheyenne with a 350 2barrel and auto trans. You could lift the hood, sit on the fender and fix it with general hand tools, you wont see that anymore.  

• Jehtro and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#60 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:42 PM

I started out with a 85 S-10 2wd in 1993, it was a good truck except it had the worse engine GM made, the 2.8. After that I had a assortment of toyotas, from a 87 4runner to a 98 Tacoma. My favorite was my 94 with the 22RE four banger, that was a tough little truck. I currently have a 03 S-10 ZR2, and while its a good truck I would take a nice early to mid 90's Toyota any day.Besides new trucks being priced way too high you almost always have to take it to a dealer or auto shop to get it fixed because of all the new emissions and computerized crap on them. I remember helping my dad work on our 75 Chevy Cheyenne with a 350 2barrel and auto trans. You could lift the hood, sit on the fender and fix it with general hand tools, you wont see that anymore.

Man I had one of those 2.8l , I had no issues, I swear it depends on who you talk to. Some liked them, some didn't.